Abortion

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Sarah, Oct 21, 2003.

?

Is abortion a justified act?

1. Yes

44 vote(s)
    53.7%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. Yes if only the situation threatens the mother and/or child

26 vote(s)
    31.7%
  1. Crime Traveller

Crime Traveller I'm a very short Elf

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Women have a right to determine what happens to their own bodies. I'm not in favour of abortion as a means of birth control, but the alternative tastes too much of fascism to me for it to sit lightly on my shoulders. Personal morality is fine, but that's exactly what it is: personal. Imposing it on others is an abhorrence to my mind and makes me question the motives of those who wish to do so. There are plenty of things happening in this world which I'm not happy with, but I'm not so arrogant to think that my world-view should be imposed on all those who disagree with me. If we are all truly born free, then we're also free to make decisions regarding our own lives (and, in the case of women, the lives we carry). The life of the foetus can't be extricated from that of the mother, and as far as I'm concerned the mother will always have priority. If she feels she cannot bear to carry a child to term then no-one has the moral authority to force her to.

2. clouded_perception

clouded_perception clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    I agree. Abortion certainly isn't used as a method of birth control normally, and I think that in rare cases where the attitude of "I don't need protection, I can just abort" does exist, proper education on what exactly abortion means to a person without clouding the issue with relative grey-moral junk and rhetoric is the best antidote. Women who can go through an abortion relatively unscarred are rare; we automatically develop an attachment to foetuses we carry. Proper education and counselling on these issues is only possible with relatively unrestrictive abortion laws; illegalising it or binding the issue in too many restrictions and red tape just makes the whole issue physically more dangerous for the carrier and emotionally more dangerous for all involved, and wouldn't really impact the abortion rate at all (you can do anything black-market, just not safely).

Sorry, went off on a tangent there...

3. Crime Traveller

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    The most recent stats I can find for the UK regarding abortions show that nearly 1,500 of the 19,000 girls under 18 who had a termination in 2008 had previously undergone one earlier abortion for an unwanted pregnancy – and in at least one case a teenage girl had her eighth. According to the Department of Health 74 teenagers had their third abortion in that year and a further 15 had between three and six abortions. I don't know what the situation is where you live, but in this country there's obviously a culture where aborting is seen as an easy option (though how it could be considered easier than taking preventative measures in the first place is beyond me.) I agree that education is an important factor, but I can't believe that all 19,000 were unaware of the risks involved in having sex without taking proper precautions. I have a grim suspicion they simply didn't care.

4. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I'm also guessing those repeat aborters don't know or care about the risks to their future reproductive health.

5. Crime Traveller

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I find the case of the girl who had eight abortions particularly disturbing. What were the authorities doing? What were her parents doing? Due to patient confidentiality the DoH obviously doesn't publish a lot of detail, but it would be interesting to see what proportion of these girls come from deprived areas, what their educational attainment is, etc. The stats certainly don't paint a very pretty picture, but I doubt any of our political parties are interested in tackling the issue and finding out why so many people view abortion as on a par with using a condom or the pill.

6. the_creeper

the_creeper Creeping About

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I support pro-choice. I personally don't think I could ever do it, but if women are in circumstances like rape and threatening health issues, who am I to say that she has to keep that baby. However, late term abortions are just inhumane. I think abortion should never be an option past 4 months. I dont consider anything under that unreasonable since if placed outside of the womb, the fetus would die. At 4 months a fetus is viable and even though the chances are sky high that it will die, with proper procedure the fetus could survive, the quality of life when the child grows up being born that premature however, is questionable. No one has the right to tell another woman what she can or cannot do with her body, and that is the way it should stay.

7. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Wow, way to forcibly traumatise women:

Yeah, because if pro-lifers are all about one thing, it's choices. Riiiight....

8. Ser Land

Ser Land New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Since you base your opinion on religious beliefs, I won't even try to argue.

Search tags for this page

abortion fantasy