Abortion

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Sarah, Oct 21, 2003.

?

Is abortion a justified act?

1. Yes

44 vote(s)
    53.7%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. Yes if only the situation threatens the mother and/or child

26 vote(s)
    31.7%
  1. Sarah

Sarah New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just wanted to know what you think about abortion,in my opinion abortoin is murder and it isnt the mother's body it's a whole new body,in fact the baby and mother's blood do not mix at all! If the mother has AIDS it is tranmitted to the baby during nurseing,not the blood. Being a born again believer i also believe it is wrong to muder,it says so in the Bible,and it's one of the ten commandements!Ergo i believe it's wrong

what are your thoughts on abortion?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2003
  2. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    I believe it's a women's choice...there are so many factors that it's not right to force someone to have a child. I'm not saying it's something you should use as a form of birth control but it's an option that needs to be there.

3. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I agree. I believe it should be up to the mother whether they want to keep the child. There are too many times when 12 year olds become pregnant these days and they should have the option to have abortion. I believe it is wrong to force someone to give birth if they didn't mean to become pregnant. IMO it is the same amount of murder as having your period every month.

4. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    As a father of FOUR children, I am not pro-abortion, but I am pro-choice.

Real life would dictate that "if there is a will, there is a way".

A person that is seeking an abortion is going to get one whether it is legal or not, whether it is safe or not...

With so many parents who are both poor financially and in parenting skills, I have seen horrible living conditions that some of these unwanted and unplanned children have to endure.

To force women to have unwanted children would only create more of this.

5. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I'm also Pro-Choice. I mean what if a girl is raped in the back alley by some drug beat loser. Would she really want that baby? Of course, like Strider said, it is not a means of birthcontrol, but I guess basically it depends on the situation.

Another point that I hear often, (not saying I agree, not saying I disagree) is how can it be called killing if the baby hasn't been born into the world yet. By medical terms, it was never truthfully living in this world. The baby would know no diffference.

6. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    I'm not going to say I am pro-choice. (other members of my church might lynch me for making a statement like that. :eek: ) But there are certainly extenuating circumstances in which a woman should be able to seek an abortion; rape, danger to life, very underaged to have a baby. A woman should not be required to have a baby that could endanger her own life or cause severe psychological trauma.

Yet, abortion should not be taken lightly. It's not for an accidental unwanted pregnanacy. If an adult has an unwanted baby, they need to mature and take responsiblity for what their actions have done. It's not the end of the world to have a baby.

But in no way should abortions be made illegal. It would only make women resort once again to unsanity, illegal procedures that would harm their health.

7. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    This is a tough issue. It's hard because in some cases, it seems almost necessary, such as if it endangers the health of the mother, or she was raped, etc. But I agree with Nienor that it is not an option to be taken lightly. You should take responsiblity for your actions. If you are too poor to have a child, then put it up for adoption and give the child a chance.

I personally think that it is inhumane to kill a child. It is this disrespect for life that is ruining our society. Just imagine if our parents had thought this way. We wouldn't be here. I know the child isn't born yet, but it can feel pain when the procedure is performed. And what is even worse is that they sell the body parts. I have seen a list with prices listed next the the various body parts. It was absolutely disgusting. I get sick just thinking about it.

8. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Of course, although I meant to mention it in my original post, I do not in any way accept abortion as a means of birth control either.

Just that it is an option that should not be taken away.

9. Gûd Daedheloth

Gûd Daedheloth Foe of Morgoth's Realm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I don't support abortion. I've seen too many pictures of pre-birth babies at various stages throughout the pregnancy to make me want to see any of these babies killed. I don't see how anyone could call them inhuman. To me, abortion is the same as murder.

10. doleniel

doleniel Elven High Priestess

surrounded by idiots with no hope of escape
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I am pro-choice, but I must say I personally would never have one, and I think late-term abortions are just plain wrong. Otherwise, though, I can put up with it. I would not want someone else telling me what I am and am not allowed to do with/to my body, so why should I tell some other woman what she can and cannot do?

11. Duskwalker

Duskwalker Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't think any person has a right to resolve another person’s fate. It is entirely the choice of the woman. If a woman has never been in the predicament where she has to make such a desperate decision, then she can't say what she would do, and she absolutely can't pass comment on another woman's decision. Someone who has decided they will never have an abortion might very well change their mind at some time in their lives. I don't think abortion is right, but I do think that it is sometimes undeniable!

12. Radagast

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I think that is a very, very good point. Abortions not being forced upon these women. They choose to have an abortion, and make their own decision based on what they feel is best for themselves (usually).

13. Winterine

Winterine Ranger-Bard

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I think it's up to the mother, though personally I think abortion is murder, but I'm still deciding when exactly I'll decide the embryo's life becomes significant. I used to think that they're not really "alive" until they develop something of a brainstem...but considering that's all within the first month, or even the first week (I can't remember...all those Growth, Development and Aging lectures :rolleyes: ) it's pretty much the same as saying when there's fertilisation, there's life. And when there's life, ending it is murder.

I might abort in some situations (rape etc) but real early-like... Abortion late in pregnancy, or anytime when the embryo is a foetus is just wrong.

14. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    I agree. They are humans! People! A baby's personality, characteristics, eye color, hair color, everything is decided BEFORE they are born! To say that they are not human is just a way to justify murder.

By the way, hurray to Congress for finally passing the ban on partial-birth abortion! It's about time.

15. Eàmanë

Eàmanë formally Nevaeh

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I believe that abortion is wrong. A baby is a life form, that will eventually, if the mother lets it, grow up, breathe, live a life, etc.

I would like to know why, if a woman is pregnant, and she is killed, it is considered a double murder, but if a woman goes and has an abortion, it's considered okay?

16. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Sadly, in the United States law, this is not true. If a pregnant woman is murdered and her unborn fetus is killed with her, it is not considered a double murder. Only if it can be proven that the baby drew a breath does the fetus be considered a child.

17. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't criticize women who get abortions until you've walked a mile in their shoes.

18. Radagast

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I think also Canada is likewise with the U.S.

19. Glorfy_of_Imladris

Glorfy_of_Imladris Mysterious Glorfy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't see it like murder, not at all. You see, although an embryo is living, it doesn't have had a life. So you can't call it murder.

There are different possibilities; when someone wants abortion due to doing "something" (you know what I mean) un-safe, I don't agree with it. They should have been a bit more carefull.
    In case of a raping, I can agree with it. But then it depends again; abortion because you don't want to have that child, that's a bit... how would I call it... stupid. Abortion because you don't want to have a child of your raper, that's acceptable.

Of cours you can start to talk about ethics. Ethics this, ethics that. But there's nothing to do with ethics! Ethics are for thinking, living beings. An embryo isn't a thinking, living being. About the living-part you can talk, but about the thinking, you can't.

Conclusion: sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't. It depends of the situation.

20. Eowyn

Eowyn Shieldmaiden

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Your body? WE aren't talking about your body we are talking about the life of the baby!
    Abortion is WRONG and always is! IT is murder as has been said. Why should a mother have the
    choice to kill their inocent baby? The baby hasn't don't anything wrong!

Search tags for this page

abortion fantasy