A thought on The Gathering Storm ...

Discussion in 'Wheel of Time' started by sameolguy, Jan 26, 2010.

1. sameolguy

sameolguy Sameolguy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    **** THIS ENTIRE POST IS A SPOILER IF YOU HAVE NOT FINISHED BOOK TWELVE ****

There was a point in The Gathering storm that put me off, so to speak. In chapter 28 'night in hinderstap' Sanderson introduces what are essentially zombies (though not technically undead) in an odd violent and cyclical way of life. At dark they turn into mindless killers and by daybreak awake in their beds as if nothing had happened. At first I didn't think that this was true to the world Jordan had created and it was, for a while, the only thing in book 12 that I didn't enjoy. Then I started thinking about it a bit more. Jordan has a way of subtely mentioning things in book after book that you think are only mildly important, then, when least expected, he refurs back to them and uses them in amazing ways.

-- For instance: In the first book you are introduced to Shadar Logath, a city of its own evil that is almost the flipside to the Dark One's form of evil. The two evils react violently to one another. Later in the series it is revisited as well as mentioned several times. By book .. 9? i want to say .. he has rand use the city as a filter, for lack of a better term, to cleanses Saidin of the Dark One's taint. --

Back on topic: It made me start thinking of WHY there would all of the sudden be something that made little to no sense to in the world, and here is what I up with: Over and over Jordan emphasizes how dangerous balefire is and how even the dark one is hesitant to use it. He reiterates time and again how it will tear the weave of the pattern of time. Yet he never shows anything happening that portrays Balefire's effects on the world. Until chapter 28 in book 12.. Or so I think.

Did anyone else get that impression or does anyone agree/disagree?

2. Al Henderson

Al Henderson New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good thoughts! It never occurred to me ... although I certainly felt "something" was missing from the equation. Beyond that, this scene didn't bother me too much.

What I really DIDN'T like was the ending!

It was just ... SO ... BAD!!!

I kept expecting to read that, as he looked down the mountainside, at the little town of Whoville, his heart grew THREE SIZES BIGGER! (lol)

The rest of the book felt sufficiently coherent to be "one voice", and true to the rest of the series (which I've read about a dozen times or more)...

But that ending reads like someone got dragged in off the street to finish the story.

Still ... I'm looking forward to the next ... and hoping it doesn't continue in the same vein as the last couple pages of "The Gathering Storm".

3. Devek

Devek New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes that does have a good feel to, the effects of balefire on the pattern.

Love the parts where Mat was involved especially when he's meeting with his main crew and handing out info on what they were going to be and do when they head into Trustair. I couldn't stop laughing it was so funny. I'm still laughing just thinking about it

Looking forward to the Towers of Midnight. I reckon Mats not only going to go to the TOG but also to the Black Tower and finally the TOM in seanchan IMO