A Storm of Swords **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by Nienor, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    After finishing the third book, I have one observation to make. At the rate Martin is killing off characters, who is gonna be left by book 5!!!

I was really shocked that Robb Stark was killed. I was betting on him to make it all the way to the end of the series, and possibly even acquire the throne. And I was very glad to read all the way through the epilogue. Usually those aren't too important, but it was a revelation to see Catelyn Stark still alive after all that. Wouldn't it be kinder to just let her die now. Her whole family is gone. :(

2. Patkun

Patkun Patkun, lover of bread

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    This is just the way that GRR Martin keeps us interested. Personally, I thought Robb had it coming, ever since he married Jeyne, and probably before.
    I expect Catelyn will now wreak some awesome revenge against the Freys and Lannisters, now that the Brotherhood Without Banners is at her back.
    Jon, Tyrion and Arya have to survive, but I'm not making any bets on anyone else. Davos and Stannis especially are skating on pretty thin ice right now.

3. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I'm about 3/4 of the way through.
    I just read about the death of Robb, and ( what I thought ) was the death of Catelyn ( :p)
    I guess I should really pay attention to the big text that says " spoilers".

anyway, I predict that he will just introduce new characters that will be focused on. Or maybe add a point of view to characters that were previously only described ( eg: Joffrey ).

4. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    I didn't put spoilers there for nothing. :p

I have a question regarding the whole Robb/Marriage thing. Do you think Walder Frey was sincere in his first marriage offers to the Starks. Did he murder Robb in revenge for making him look foolish by marrying the other girl and for the death of his descendents on the field. Or was it really his intention all along to kill the Starks? It would have been just as convenient to kill Robb at his own wedding feast.

Well, there is plenty of room now for new characters. I certainly hope there are new ones. There aren't as many Starks and Lannisters to have POV's from. hehe

5. Patkun

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I thought that the Freys killed Robb because they knew he was losing the war-- they wanted to get in good with the Lannisters (Arya hears Roose Bolton and Lothar Frey Discussing this at Harrenhal). However, Robb's marrying Jeyne probably helped.

6. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    well, I finished.

***large spoilers***

I think its kind of unlikely that Catelyn would have survived.
    I was also shocked that Tyrion told Jaime that he was guilty, as well as him killing Tywin.
    and the death of lady Lysa was a shocker too.

I love George RR Martin! These plot twists make things so interesting.

7. Patkun

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Catelyn, didn't survive, Nimyria(sp?)saw her dead in Arya's dream. Thoros brought her back.

8. CB Swords

CB Swords Forum Administrator

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I don't think Frey was planning murder all along.

As for Robb, I didn't think it was his story, so I wasn't at all suprised that he died. He never received as much face time as the others like Bran or Jon anyways.

I think Bran is going to end up being the central character. He had the first chapter in the book, and I think that is significant. Martin has also continued to develop him throughout the series despite him never really being close to the main action.

The other likely candidate is Daeny.

9. Patkun

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Of course it's Daenarys-- she's Azor Azhai, isn't she? So she has to save the world.
    Jon and Tyrion are the two other Heads of the Dragon, because they're both related to her. Maybe.

10. Greyjoy

Greyjoy Theon Lives!

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Dany will die. She is barren, and has no hope of restoring the Targaren family. When she dies, so will the family line. Personally, im wondering about Theon. Did he die or what? they said he was flayed, but on georgerrmartin.com, his uncle mentioned him being the true heir to the greyjoy family.

11. Patkun

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    There's nothing to stop Theon being flayed and alive. Oh, those Boltons and their funny little ways...
    I can't see him re-appearing though. Nor would I want him to, he deserves everything he gets.

Dany isn't necessarily barren, she just has the word of some madwoman to go on. Even if she is, there is no reason to think that she is the last of the dragons (see my previous post).

12. Greyjoy

Greyjoy Theon Lives!

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would think it would kill him. What exactically is the definition of flaying? I thought it was where the skin is removed from the body.

13. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Personally, I think that it will come down to Jon and Dany in the end. They are apparently of the same blood, perhaps it is the two of them that continue the blood of the Dragon. Either way, I think we're gonna see a lot of action between the Others and the Dragons before it's done and over with.

14. Patkun

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Well, not all of his skin, obviously. Just some off his thumb so far, I believe. The Boltons were deliberately keeping him alive, and presumeably still are.
    Yes, most people are expecting some kind of climactic fantasy battle with Dragons, Others, etc, but it's not definate, given that anything you suspect about a GRRM novel is usually proven wrong as soon as possible.
    Some people are also expecting some kind of magical duel between Melisandre and Bran, which would be interesting...

15. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I think predicting the ending at this point is akin, if not harder then predicting the events of one of aSoIaF books after reading one chapter.

16. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Good point, Martin has a way of being unpredictable.

Another thought; Do you think we've seen the last of Sandor Clegane? Arya left him for dead, but personally, I think he has some larger role to play that we've not seen yet.

17. Patkun

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    This is a good point point-- after all, he is a very big, tough guy, and Arya is not known for her medical knowledge. I'd like it if he joined the kingswood brotherhood to atone for his crimes.

Surely Martin wouldn't just throw away such an interesting character...Yes he would.*cough*Ned *cough*Robb *cough*Mormont....

18. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    It just seems to me that he's been purosefully linked with several pivitol characters, Arya, Sansa, the Lannisters, etc. I keep wondering if it will all come together somehow.

19. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Oh, here's another thought. The person that Samwell referrs to as Cold Hands, the man who rescued them from the wights in the forest, does anyone else think that this is Benjen Stark?

20. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

:duh:

wow, I never thought of that. You are probably right.