a REAL ranger sword: how much would you pay?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by David S, Aug 15, 2003.

1. David S

David S New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know many people on here complain that the Ranger sword is not functional. But how much would YOU be willing to pay for a functional ranger sword? lets let this price INCLUDE a scabbard shall we?
    The reason i ask is because i have found a smith, a AMAZING smith that can and has duplicated the Ranger sword and scabbard and they are exact duplicates. Sure this infringes on some copyright stuff, but very few have been made and they where customs, No i will not release his name, but in about 10 months or so i may have one.
    how much would you pay though?

2. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

Well, how much I'd pay and how much they're worth is two seperate issues. I can't see myself ever paying more than $400 for a sword, and that's if it includes a scabbard. That might get me a del tin and a full leather scabbard, but that's about it.

It sounds like an item like this will cost at least $800 or so dollars, especially since custom scabbards sometimes cost as much as the sword (look at Albion's, $500 a pop).

I wonder, how much would it cost to hire someone to dissasemble the UC ranger, give it a carbon blade, and then buy the UC scabbard when they make it? I'd consider doing something like that.

3. gandalf101

gandalf101 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How much would i pay? Well, i suppose i'd be willing to pay quite a bit for a well made functional ranger. Although there is absolutely no way i could afford it any time soon.

I'd be willing to pay quite a bit, but i can't ;)

4. David S

David S New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    sorry i wont release the name of the sword maker, just thought this might be interesting to some.

Attached Files:

5. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    That's a beautiful sword, I wonder how much it weighs. The fuller looks a little thin compared to the actual prop, but it's still beautifully done.

So in my estimate of the cost, was I even close?

6. David S

David S New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No where near..............

it weighs roughly 4 lbs. is about 49 inches overrall length.

7. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    49 would put it at a little bit longer than Glamdring, and the UC Ranger is a little over 46. Is the blade or the grip longer than the UC? I'd prefer the grip to be a tad longer instead of the blade.

8. Elrohir

Elrohir Firstborn

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Isn't that a full pound heavier than your Christian Fletcher ranger? I thought you said that was 2 lbs 9 oz or so. Still, it's a nice looking blade.

What is the price range, $1000 or more? I figure I'll end up paying close to $400 for the UC wallhanger, depending on the scabbard price.

9. David S

David S New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it is going to cost me over $1000. but that includes scabbard. which is an excellant price for a hand crafted sword.
    Yes that sword picture is heavier than my CF ranger sword, but it is bigger and also alot meatier in the guard area.
    The sword pictured above is a flat ground blade. I am asking the smith, when he makes mine to hollow grind the blade, just the movie sword, and also widen and extend the fuller.

10. Elrohir

Elrohir Firstborn

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well if I ever make the jump to a functional, that is exactly the sword that I would want. Maybe make it a few inches shorter also, just because the Ranger wallhanger feels perfectly sized to me.

I can't wait to see the pics and reviews! And when is the next cutting party, can't wait to see the vids!

11. David S

David S New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, i do not have this sword, That is just a picture of a similar sword that the same smith made, he is just making another for me. and it will be about 10 months before he can start on it due to his back log.
    but yes, it will be sharp and a heckava cutter!!

I have other goodies coming soon though.. check with Swordforum to keep up with my upcoming cutting party and the return of Gwailas!

12. The Wayfarer

The Wayfarer Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I own this sword. It is amazing. The grip is the same length, the blade is slightly longer (about an inch). The fuller is narrower because it is forged, not ground (like the one in the film). Forged fullers max out at about .75 inches, which this one is.

• Like Like x 1
  13. David S

David S New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    you own the castle keep ranger?

14. Primrodo

Primrodo New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The hilt's guard isn't exactly right. The pointed area that points to the blade is was to sharp...

nice though

15. David S

David S New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No one said its a replica. its alot closer than many i have seen.

16. Primrodo

Primrodo New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You did though:

Serifino from the RPF and ASAP boards is having some made, and they are exact :)

I also have made some contacts to someone willing to make an exact duplicate :)

Don't get me wrong its a nice sword and fairly close...just not as exact as you said.

:)