A new He-Man movie

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by kartaron, Oct 4, 2004.

1. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Fox has signed the director of PAYCHECK, FACE/OFF, Mission Impossible 2 and BROKEN ARROW to both produce and direct a live-action feature adaptation of HE-MAN, based on the line of MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE Mattel action figures. Screenwriter Adam Rifkin (MOUSE HUNT, SMALL SOLDIERS) will pen the script.

This will be the second time a movie based on the toy line will have been made. The first picture, 1987's MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE, starred Dolph Lundgren as the muscular warrior from planet Eternia and Frank Langella as the evil (and kind of goofy looking) Skeletor. The movie bombed. After spending the 1990s out of the public spotlight, two years ago Mattel re-introduced the toy line and followed with a new animated series, giving the franchise a second life.

Woo is also developing a feature based on Nintendo's METROID game series. Before he begins any serious work on HE-MAN or any other film Woo is preparing to direct Universal's adaptation of Midway's SPY HUNTER video game with The Rock to star. Production is scheduled to commence on SPY HUNTER next spring for a summer 2006 release. It is unclear how far away filming would be for Woo's He-Man.

Cinescape.com

2. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    All I can say is: "oy"

3. CB Swords

CB Swords Forum Administrator

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Sometimes I think movie studios are run by monkeys.

4. Cirdan

Cirdan The Pandaren

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I didnt even know there was a first one, lol.

5. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    John Woo wants Nic Cage for his MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE movie.

According to the site/radio report, Woo has been speaking with his FACE/OFF cohort Nicolas Cage about playing the role of Skeletor, the main villain of the MASTERS universe. Furthermore the report states that Woo has his eye on SEX IN THE CITY actor Jason Lewis to play the part of He-Man. On the racy cable show Lewis played Jerrod Smith, a male model and much younger boyfriend of Kim Cattrall's character Samantha Jones.

What strikes us as suspicious about this story is the mention that Cage's involvement with the GHOST RIDER movie may not allow him time to work on MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE. Correct us if we're wrong (and we're not), but Woo's next film is SPY HUNTER and it's slated to begin filming next spring. Wouldn't that mean the earliest the director could begin shooting his MASTERS movie -- at the earliest -- would be after the bulk of work on SPY HUNTER is complete, so there wouldn't be any conflict of interest for Cage.

6. CB Swords

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Jeremy Irons would be a good skeletor.

7. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Yes, but I think Cage would do better, he's younger and makes a great evil villan. Not so sure about the He-Man choice though, pretty but dumb comes to mind... But then again, physique has a lot to do with suitability for the role. I'd prefer Matt leBlanc but he'd look terrible as a blond.

8. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Aw, c'mon man! Get with the times! Dolph Lundgren! Ivan Drago! Hehehe.

Yeah, I remember seeing that one in the theatre. And at the age of...what? Five? I thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. Wow. How very mistaken I was.

9. CB Swords

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I don't see Skeletor needing to be young. He's a skeleton after all.

Although Jeremy Irons might not want to do something that is probably going to be very very campy.

10. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Roll on campy... Can't wait to see Battlecat, "Oooooh, pussy."

11. LOTR Fan

LOTR Fan Universals v. Particulars

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They won't have much trouble improving on the bomb that was the first movie - it doesn't get much worse than that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I just want to see how Woo will rationalize dual pistols, martial arts and slow motion doves.

oh He Man is really a goodfella who got transported (with guns) beck to 125000BC. Thats it.

13. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    More on Woo's upcoming projects:

The FACE/OFF director has agreed to helm a remake of THE RED CIRCLE, a 1970 French thriller that was directed by Jean-Pierre Melville. The film was about a thief who had just been released from prison who encounters a murderer that is evading a police manhunt. The two criminals decide to work together and plan a heist.

The new RED CIRCLE film will be written by ALIAS and LOST producer Jeff Pinkner.

Woo's dance card is filled to capacity. As he continues developing Universal's SPY HUNTER for a spring 2005 start of filming, Woo has been attaching himself to a variety of projects including an adaptation of Nintendo's video game METROID, a new MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE movie, a film set in China in the year 200 A.D. (THE WAR OF THE RED CLIFF) and now THE RED CIRCLE. According to Variety, Woo's plan is to complete his work on SPY HUNTER, then move on to his RED CLIFF project followed by THE RED CIRCLE.

cinescape.com

14. Kal-EL

Kal-EL New Supes costume sucks

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm, another He-Man movie?

Ok, I was really excited when the new toy line and cartoon came out, but a movie?
    The cartoon isn't doing very well and I don't think there is enough interest.....yet. 2007 isn't a long enough wait to rejuvenate the franchise either.