A new ballock dagger by John Gage

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Patrick Kelly, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Patrick Kelly

Patrick Kelly New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Here's an in-progress photo of a ballock dagger that will quite probably find its way into my collection in the near future. The overall length is fifteen inches.

[​IMG]

This is being made by John Gage: www.extremebladeart.com

John discovered a crack in the wood pictured here so it's being replaced with a piece of thuya burl, a reddish wood. The dagger will also come with a scabbard and I'll post further photos when they're completed. John worked for Albion for a time and I met him during my last visit up there. John's now doing his own thing and seems to be doing it pretty well from what I can see. He's a relatively unknown talent right now but I expect that to change in the future.

I've long wanted a knife/dagger of this type as it's such a classic form from the medieval period. For various reasons this particular item has been very hard to obtain, in spite of several close calls with various production companies and custom makers it just hasn't happened. I've also been looking for a companion piece for my incoming Albion Svante. When I saw the above photo I fell in love with the overall shape and proportion of this dagger and I think it will fit that role very well.

2. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Oooh, love the blade shape. I actually prefe the plainer style crossguards, but I love the blade design.

Can't wait to see pics of the finished product :)

p.s. did you get my PM about norman coifs?

3. Patrick Kelly

Patrick Kelly New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I'm eager to see the finished piece. I particularly love the blade design and how the guard and blade flow together.

I got your PM/e-mail. Didn't you get my response e-mail? I'm asuming you didn't for some reason. Let me know.

4. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Thanks, I got the response this time, the last one might have been mislabeled by my spam filter. I think I'll go for the basic leather ties rather than the buckle. Not sure about breathing through the suede lining though, I'll have to see how it goes.

Anyway - any idea when the dagger will be finished and delivered? I think it's a great companion to the svante:

Attached Files:

5. Patrick Kelly

Patrick Kelly New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'd probably go with the ties also. I wouldn't extend the aventail up far enough to cover the nose though. In that sense breathing wouldn't be an issue.

Hopefully I'll have the dagger by the middle of next month.