A Feast For Crows

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by Herald Of Woe, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Quote from the Citadel:

WARNING: SPOILERS FROM AFFC

"In general, it’s not believed that Sandor Clegane is dead, despite the testimony of Elder Brother and others. The reason for this is quite simple: the gravedigger.

When Brienne visits the Quiet Isle, she notes that the novices of the order are not only sworn to silence, but wear woolen scarves that hide their faces. While walking up the path to see Elder Brother, she notices a novice digging in the lichyard who’s described as even larger than her and lame (IV: 463). When Dog goes up to him, he drops his spade and scratches the dog’s ear (IV: 464). Later, during a meal, the novice is described moving with a half-lurching gait (IV: 467). Finally, when Brienne discusses Sandor Clegane with the Elder Brother, she dejectedly remarks that Sandor Clegane is dead, to which he responds, "He is at rest." (IV: 470) Later, he says, "the Hound is Dead".

GRRM has previously stated that Sandor Clegane is taller than Brienne (SSM). As last seen in ASoS, he had taken a wound to his hip that became dangerously infected, recovery from which could very likely leave his movement in that leg impaired. And as he told Sansa in ACoK, he was fond of dogs (II: 211). These details all fit the large, limping, dog-loving novice. Combined with Elder Brother’s very specific phrasing—that Sandor Clegane is "at rest" but that "the Hound" is dead—it’s been understood that Elder Brother is hiding the truth without outright lying. The novice who is trying to find peace on the Quiet Isle is Sandor, who has put aside the rage and hatred that made him the Hound, "killing" that part of his persona."

2. Gwywen

Gwywen Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    The Elder Brother also states that he himself 'died' at the Trident, and was 'reborn' on the Quiet Isle. It's probably his way of telling how people can take off their former self and become reborn in a new (better?) fashion.

3. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I didn't remember that part. Thanks Gwywen. Yeah - Sandor lives!

4. the_gathering_light

the_gathering_light Enlightened of Taravehn

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm still only about halfway through it, but I do feel that my attention span is starting to wear down on it. A lot of my favorite characters weren't in this (have to wait for the next book...sigh). I also don't know if all the new characters that were introduced were fully necessary. Anyways...love the series and that probably won't change anytime soon.

5. Kaelmarr

Kaelmarr Back | Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Ah... Very interesting speculation. That is quite possible. I guess we'll have to see, right?

6. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Right!

I know not many people enjoyed AFFC as much as the other books, but I really loved it (given, not as much as the others). Brienne is one of my favorite characters, and she has a POV, so maybe that's where people get bored. Sort of like how Davos' chapters bore me to tears but other people really like him.

7. Kaelmarr

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Same here... The only part that have interested me with Davos is him and Melisandre, and his opinions of her. But I also like Brienne, I don't see what the fuss is about with her.

8. Gwywen

Gwywen Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I had to read it twice to love it. It contains loads of hidden info between the lines which I didn't notice during my first read.

9. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, that's why I really liked it. Lots of little histories.

10. Kaelmarr

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Definitely.

If only more people would read ASoIaF, and come join us in this forum... Maybe then we could get some more interesting speculations.

11. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    >.>

You weren't here in its heyday, Kael. =/ I dunno' about everyone else, but I really miss the epic days when the Club was still going and everyone was yelling about their opinions and we had some GOOD discussions going.

12. Lord Beric

Lord Beric LORD BERIC

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys and ladies, I would really love to get more involved but every time I try it seems my memory fails me. I started ready ASOIF and before I knew it I was done. I am finishing up a book I picked up (newest Dragonlance: Dragons of Highlord Skies) I am almost done and as soon as I am I am def going to re-read GRRMs words very closely and take my time. As I read and ponder some speculation I will share. Till then Happy Holidays and Happy New Year.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    The ol' JPAW days, eh Emily?

14. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Yeah... lol. JDF vs. JPAW, Rhaegar fangirls vs. Cru... pretty epic. xD

15. Ser Revok

Ser Revok Hedge Knight

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Well, hopefully a new group of readers (not unlike myself) will join and discussion will rain down on the board! I don't know anyone who reads or has read the series and I've got so many things concerning the series rattling around in my head!

16. Esquire

Esquire New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree, I've got heaps of stuff about it rattling around in my head, I've even twisted a friends arm into reading the series so I've got a talking companion for it. He's only got the audio books though so he's going slowly.

I'm currently re-reading the series and I'm about half-way through a Feast for Crows. I don't mind the Brienne chapters that much, sure they're not as epic or as important as the other story lines, GRRM couldn't really just leave it at Brienne goes off to search for Sansa at Jaime's request and have it all take place off screen.... And her character got some development, before AFFC she was pretty much just butch and touchy about it, now we know why she's touchy and such, granted she's not the most interesting character, but she's not a bad one. Because she's probably going to be interacting with Jaime (either romantically or platonicly/mutual redemption & honor based) it's probably best if she gets some development and explanation so that when further interaction comes, we'll know she's not just a 'hound with teats', but a character with motivations and individuality.

I think it's just that her storyline didn't interlace with that of the others, being the reason why her chapters weren't so popular. I felt that way about some Bran chapters during book 3, plodding around learning about animal possession or what ever it's called. I found Cersei's chapters to be entertaining to say the least, and Jaime's chapters were very maturing.

There, that should be fuel for some discussion.....

17. Gwywen

Gwywen Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I think the Brienne chapters contain loads of information about everything but Brienne. I think every single word in those chapters which now seems unimportant, will turn out to be plotrelated.
    Just like we're used from GRRM. He doesn't just do something. Everything he writes has a reason.