A failing franchise

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Anakin, May 21, 2018.

1. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,118 / 3 / -0
    I'm just going to copy paste my thoughts on The Last Jedi here and see what you think. Just want to tell you that on certain subjects in the film I was being just polite to other members of DeviantArt, because I thought the Doppelganger idea was stupid. That there's a great problem that Rey is a nobody, because a hero needs to be special, almost an anomaly.

In defence of the The Last Jedi, Hollywood movies in general haven’t been that great overall. Movies have been going downhill, especially in originality.

The Last Jedi, in that aspect, isn’t that different. I can appreciate the attempt to renew and bring new ideas to the franchise as long as they’re good ideas. This film didn’t do that for me. Now lots of fans have been generalising the “haters”, some calling them fanatics and such, which personally I find arrogant. Some ways they try to defend the film don’t convince me. Let’s talk of the argument of why Snoke isn’t different than the Emperor. Both didn’t have a background story, when you compare the Original Trilogy to the Sequel Trilogy.

I’ll tell you what’s different. First of all, the OT was the beginning of the story, now we’re near the end. Both were build up to be powerful mystery figures. But what do we learn of Snoke? Almost nothing. Fair enough, the Emperor didn’t have a backstory either, but he had a reputation. He was introduced by Tarkin who said that the Emperor dismantled the senate. Like Snoke, he’s an important character. At least, that’s how it appears. Vader was just phenomenal from the start and he was dubbed ‘the master of evil’ by Obi-Wan. That made me think that the Emperor was even more evil, that he was of a higher league.

Cut to ESB and Vader has become more fearsome, yet he bows down as an obedient servant to the Emperor. Later we learn that he fears the Emperor and cannot defeat him alone. That just shows us how powerful he is. This pays off in ROTJ where we learn that Vader practically is a slave to the Emperor, that he has to obey him. The only way he could kill him is by sacrificing his own life.

Cut back to Snoke. Now there’s a large gap to fill as 30 years have gone by and somehow Snoke got control over the first Order. That’s quite an impressive feat, though never explained. Yes, we can go back to the Emperor as it’s never explained how he got control over an Empire. But the OT lay down the foundation of the overall story. Plus Lucas intended to explain his backstory later in the prequels, hence why he started in the middle. Imo it was planned out well, though fair enough we had to wait a long time for the PT

Now Snoke somehow seduced Ben Solo to the Dark Side, which could still be explained in Episode IX, though I have my doubts since J.J. has so much to cover. I think he’ll focus on what’s ahead, rather than fill in gaps that weren’t explained. Now there’s other questions concerning Snoke and I won’t bore you all with them, but as shown in TLJ he’s very strong in the Force, but gets killed by a trick performed by Kylo Ren. Some say his character was just a red herring. I just don’t know. This contradicts, imo, with how we see Snoke in TFA and TLJ.

Now I’ll skip over the whole Canto Bight plot, which imo was mostly filler material. I’ll focus on Rey and Luke. Personally I thought it was weird that he stood proudly in his Jedi robes. Then he throws his father’s lightsaber away, which came off as a silly joke to me. The film was filled with silly jokes. Imo the funniest Star Wars film is ESB as the banter between Han and Leia was great and between Threepio and Chewie and later Threepio and Artoo. Anyway, I’m getting sidetracked. First Luke is dressed in his Jedi robes, then quickly changes his clothes and tells Rey he came to this planet to die and that it’s time for the Jedi to end. Then why dress as one?

Luke was just acting grumpy, whiny, selfish. Just seemed out of character. The most frequent argument was that a lot can happen to a person in 30 years. But from turning from a hero to a coward? He gets struck by fear that Kylo will get seduced by the Dark Side and considers to kill him. Sorry, but from the young man, who thought his father could be redeemed to the more experienced Jedi Master who think Kylo is beyond saving. That’s a drastic change. Why not face Snoke? There could be reasons why he couldn’t, but again never explained. Why not ask help from his parents? No, he decides for himself to kill Ben. The whole scene with Yoda also made him look dumb and I thought that Yoda slapping Luke with his stick wasn’t funny.

Now, unlike many fans I wasn’t bothered that Rey’s parents were nobodies. I can see that the writers felt a little stuck at this point, because if she were Han & Leia’s daughter or Luke’s that would have been predictable. I’m still wondering what that ship in TFA was all about. A canon source said that Rey’s parents died on Jakku, but somehow she’s still waiting for them. Did the ship crash? If so, why is she waiting for them? Anyway I can appreciate the idea that you don’t have to come from some special lineage to be strong in the Force.

Now when it comes to Crait, I thought the whole doppelgänger idea was interesting as well, despite that many fans were bothered about this. They wanted Luke to have this really epic lightsaber battle. I can appreciate the idea that Luke was only stalling the First Order and sorta redeem himself for trying to kill his nephew or not make that same mistake again. However if he’s not physically there how did he hand over the golden dice to Leia and that kinda took some emotion away. The fact that he wasn’t really there for this bittersweet reunion. When it comes to the fight I thought Kylo came off as a child when he orders all AT-M6’s to fire at Luke. It’s like handing over a gun to a kid.

When he finally confronts Luke I felt that Luke was antagonizing Kylo and Rian Johnson almost confirmed this, though contradicted himself. He wanted Luke to be younger to the age when he was about to kill Kylo to have maximum effect on him. Then why did he attack him with his blue lightsaber, which Kylo knew was broken. Surely, he realized something was off. I’ll admit that the shot of the binary sunset was beautiful. Still, I did think the film didn't do Luke’s character justice.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Padmé

Padmé King in the North & King Anakin's Wench

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 0 / -1
    @Heaven's Cloud - my thoughts exactly. They didn't give us a feminist icon, they gave us an actual Mary Sue. She knows how to fly the Falcon because.... she can. She knows the ways of the Force because.... she does. And she can wield a lightsaber and kick the ass of a so-called pro 'Sith' lord because.... she just did. So what's the metaphor they're going for? If you want something it'll just be handed to you? You don't have to work hard, you'll just wake up one day and be amazing with zero effort? Yeah, real clever(!) And sadly, there's a lot of kids today who THINK this way, and that's the problem.

The only shred of hope I had for Rey was that perhaps she had been a Jedi at the academy but had forgotten who she was. So the whole idea of 'the Force awakens' was her remembering who she truly is. Remembers her powers again. That I could've forgiven. Perhaps they will shoehorn it into the next film, but nah, bugger off. You can tell they did not plan the trilogy ahead of time, they're making it up as they go along. So I'm not interested. Rey is a waste of a character, and I really wish we could've seen what George Lucas would've made of her character... who would've been called Kira.... annoyingly used and spelled Qi'ra (is this fucking Star Trek?!) in the Solo film. Kira would've been THE Star Wars alpha heroine that people have been waiting for. Sadly, was not meant to be.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Heaven's Cloud

Heaven's Cloud Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    @Anakin I absolutely hate the assertion that Snoke was treated no different than the emperor. You handle it perfectly. Palpatine was built up for an entire movie and more before we ever got to see him. Snoke shows up right away and never does anything. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees that Vader set an impressive bar as a villain character that the emperor had to automatically stand head and shoulders above. Vader gave Palpatine all the credibility he needed by being such a bad ass over the span of three films. Once Vader bows to Palpatine, the emperor has almost instant credibility as serious villain. What kind of bar does whiny Kylo Ren set for Snoke to automatically rise above? A sad one. And as you said, the beginning of a nine part story arc is entirely different than the ending. Rules have been established that send the narrative into chaos if they're ignored and remain unexplained. How the heck does someone like Snoke even exist after Anakin brings balance to the force?

Like you mentioned, JJ could still explain Snoke, but that was Rian Johnson's job. If he was going to take it upon himself to kill off major characters, then it should have fallen to him not to waste two and a half hours of trilogy time by not showing the audience why those characters are major. For JJ to have to go back and do that job as well as wrap everything up with a tiny bow is sloppy. But of course only someone working for the current administration of Lucasfilm would consider trying to pull that off, so we'll jsut have to see. Or not. Personally I'm boycotting Disney Star Wars, but I guess I can still find out whether JJ tries to convince people that Snoke is an important character.

Honestly I think you're making almost perfectly all the arguments I would. With Luke, if redeeming Vader hadn't worked out so well for the galaxy, I could then maybe see him fighting Ben. (although not in his sleep, and not preemptively at all) The fact that Vader's redemption did work out so well proves that Luke Skywalker never made an appearance in TLJ. People change, but unless Luke became a senile old murdering sociopath coward for no good reason, they don't change that much. He was going to murder a kid in his sleep! Under what circumstance is that okay? He already learned this lesson 30 years before, under grater threat. You don't defeat darkness with more darkness.

Having to be polite on certain sites does make SW difficult to discuss these days. I go straight to youtube and get in knock down drag out brawls :) So I'll just approach the apologists as I would if it were happening there. Rey's parents needed to be somebody. I don't know who, but somebody. Lucasfilm made a huge error when they came up with that character, and never cared to do something so simple as create an orgin for her. Laziness like that is impressive. Writing a SW trilogy without deciding the origins of the protagonist ahead of time. BRILLIANT! If they hadn't decided who she was, they never should have hinted that she was someone, or that she didn't know where she came from. I've never heard of something like this happening in serious fiction. EVER. SW is the biggest fictional franchise ever, and these yahoos are jerking off with it. Just like with Snoke, Lucasafilm and Disney are wasting my time and money making me think Rey is a realized character, important and fleshed out. Then they're pulling the rug out from beneath me in the dumbest possible ways. I have no choice but to boycott them or forever be a stooge.

The scene on Craite has so many problems, especially once we consider Rian Johnson's excuses for it. So Luke shows up and doesn't tell anyone how he got there, where he entered, or how to escape while he conducts his diversion for them ... But he's going to sacrifice his life on the off chance that Poe, not Leia who Luke has always had a telepathic relationship to, will understand that his whole plan is a diversion for the twenty of them to escape? Why didn't he just tell Leia that there's a pathway out and that he would stall the FO so the resistance could escape?

And then there's the lightsaber, and Luke looking younger to piss off Kylo Ren. Rian Johnson's explanation here was total BS. When the walkers were firing at Luke, there was no way Kylo Ren could tell what Luke looked like, or what lightsaber he had. Despite that, Kylo was livid, screaming at the top of his lungs like a mad man. When he landed and confronted Luke face to face, Kylo was pretty tame and unfazed by comparison.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Padme You know, I went into the theater to see TFA with no expectation at all. Despite the large flaws in the film, I had an okay time. I had pretty high hopes for TLJ largely because it shouldn't have been difficult to reveal Rey's lineage. They could easily get passed revealing her back story, and get on with telling a compelling narrative with her and Luke. That would have made me really happy. Who doen't want to see Mark Hamill reprise that role? Right?

Also what you presented right there could have done so much to relieve a lot of her Mary Sue-ness, if not all of it. She was abandoned really young, so we could expect her to forget the jedi, her identity and what she'd learned in the past as she forges a difficult new life in unfamiliar surroundings. Almost like a child who survives in the wild among beasts and predators, and is then found. When she left Jakku, we could expect her to reconnect with her past as she ventures out into the larger galaxy again. It's so simple, iconic, and compelling a story that they couldn't afford not to do something like that if they intended to maintain their audience. :(

As you said, their lesson to young people is, "Learning sucks. Don't bother with it. Go out and face the world by yourself because you're invincible!"

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Loitering from 2009 - 2018

Ratings:
    +642 / 8 / -5
    What is meant by this? Asking in the most curious of terms, since I'm more than likely overlooking/missing things. I thought Ripley was a very realistic character, in the sense that she did and reacted in ways that seemed relatable. I don't like the person particularly, but she did good on the character, and it was nice to not see yet another movie featuring a male lead.

Edit: Added to post

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Heaven's Cloud

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    I love Ripley, and all the others I mentioned there. I was comparing them to Rey, who I've completely fallen out of love with.
    It's still a kick in the gut that SW has become nothing but a cash cow that is so big it's eating itself. It's not about characters anymore.

6. Mad Hatter

Ratings:
    +642 / 8 / -5
    Ah, right. I *think* I watched the first one a while back, though all I can remember is a stormtrooper switching sides and a big rolling ball drone thing. I can't say that I paid any real attention to it, or that it left any impression on me. I guess that speaks volumes when it comes to such a supposed powerful franchise.

7. Heaven's Cloud

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    Part of the problem here is that they're getting different people to direct it, and whoever gets to direct it also gets to write it. So we have all these chefs in the kitchen, each with their own agenda, and the narrative is falling to pieces. The guy who directed/wrote the second one seemed completely senile.

8. Mad Hatter

Ratings:
    +642 / 8 / -5
    Ah, so in a world that I understand: They've gotten Jamie Oliver to run Gordon Ramsays restaurant, where people expect Gordon Ramsays type of food?

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,118 / 3 / -0
    There’s talk that JJ did have ideas for the whole trilogy, but Rian threw those ideas, or at least most of it, out of the window. We know for sure that he asked one change for the ending of TFA and that is that Artoo was going to be with Rey instead of BB-8. Maybe a change for the better, I can’t tell.

Another problem is Kathleen Kennedy. She’s the one pushing the agenda. She’s the one who demanded that we should see Leia do something powerful with the Force. That’s how Rian came up with the Leia Poppins scene. It’s why Rey is a Mary Sue. In the beginning I didn’t like that she was called that, but now it’s impossible to deny. The men are also turned into bumbling idiots and need the guidance of women. Nothing wrong with that, but this counts almost for every main male character. Rose guides Finn to not desert and become a hero. Holdo and Leia guide Poe to help the rebellion after his reckless behaviour. Rey guides Luke so he gets his act together.

Another silly idea was that the line “I’ve got a bad feeling about this.” is said in the film. I didn’t know that at first before it wad explained by Rian. In most interviews he had to give explanation for his ideas. That should be in the film, not in these interviews. This line is said in every film, but in TLJ it’s said by BB-8 (or rather being beebed) to which Poe responds “Happy thoughts, my friend.”. That’s just stupid.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Padmé

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 0 / -1
    Actually what you mentioned there, @Anakin reminds me of something my brother and I often speak about, which is a major problem in these new Star Wars films. He calls it 'The Idiot Plot', meaning that a character only succeeds because everyone else is a fucking idiot, not because they actually achieved something. And we have seen it time and time again. How does Rey kick Kylo's ass at the end of The Force Awakens? Because Kylo's an idiot. How does an old man (Han) and a newbie (Finn) outsmart Phasma and dump her in a garbage chute? Because Phasma's an idiot. How does Kylo Ren defeat Snoke? Because Snoke's an idiot. How does The First Order destroy The Republic? Because the Republic is made up of absolute fucking idiots! (Seriously, they missed a planet sized super weapon being constructed....? In George's universe, that wouldn't have happened. The Jedi missed the Clones being created only because they had been betrayed by one of their own, and the evil Sith Lord was weaselling his way up the political ladder of influence)...But this kind of shit keeps happening. No one succeeds because they have cleverly outwitted their enemy or achieved the skills to face them one-on-one. No, it's because their enemies are fucking morons. If you can only make someone look good by bringing everyone's level down, you're doing it wrong. That just makes everyone look stupid.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Heaven's Cloud

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    Absolutely, and of course Jamie Oliver and Gordon Ramsay are nothing alike. They don't want the same thing, they don't work well together, and they probably hate each other, but because it would be bad for business to do otherwise, they have to publicly defend everything the other one does.
    For the part of the audience that liked The Last Jedi, I'm happy for them. I've never said a negative thing about that part of the audience. I'm just amazed at how much hate I received for despising the movie and demanding better. To make a SW film that bad, someone has to do it on purpose. Everything that JJ Abrams set up by the end of the first movie, Rian Johnson knocked down and threw out in the second movie like he was Godzilla.

[​IMG]

As Anakin pointed out, Kathleen Kennedy is the driving force behind all this. She has probably broken records for firing the most directors in a five year span, but somehow SW has still ended up in the position it's in now ...
    Before she hired Rian Johnson, he'd never worked on a film that had a budget greater than $30 million. The Last Jedi had a budget of around $200 million. But a few days before the world premiere, they announced that Rian Johnson would get to lead his own Star Wars trilogy in the near future. Why even make a decision like that before getting the audience reaction to his film? Half the audience hated his work, and most of the people who enjoyed it were only casually interested in SW to begin with. The movie brought in a lot of cash, but it made almost $300 million less than the original estimates. 300 million whopping dollars!

@Padme I guess they've become too lazy over there to write intelligent characters. I couldn't agree with you more. Phasma is another major disappointment. WHAT in the heck were they thinking? Before I saw what they did with her role, I was inches away from falling in love with her. Who would ever look at Captain Phasma, and guess that she was a total loser?

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Padmé

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 0 / -1
    @Heaven's Cloud - I know. She was a walking joke. And they actually made it even worse in The Last Jedi. They kept saying they had 'fixed' the problem from TFA, but no, she got her arse kicked once again. What would've made so much more sense in TFA is instead of Finn facing off against a random trooper, why wasn't that Phasma?! You could've had Phasma almost killing Finn but then the Resistance arrives to save the day and she's forced to retreat. She would still have been a threat, she would've retained her dignity. Not only that, but then Finn would've had a continuous personal villain throughout the series.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,118 / 3 / -0
    Now there's the Solo films which is really doing bad for a Star Wars film. I like that and don't like it. I like Ron Howard, I like Emilia Clarke, I like Donald Glover. I'm hundred percent sure that this film is miles better than The Last Jedi. But hopefully this lack of success will send a message to Disney, though I'm not holding my breath. I also feel sorry for Emilia Clarke because she's been in two big franchises where the films just failed, because the films were poorly done. I'm talking of Terminator Genysis. (or whatever it's spelled like) and the Solo film. I'm thinking that the Solo film was made not as poorly done as the Terminator film was. It could be a good film, but after the Last Jedi I refuse to give more money to Disney. I'll probably eventually see it on a streaming service.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus King Anakin's Royal Advisor, Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +635 / 1 / -1
    And the shame of it all is that the actual visuals, costuming and design, they were all excellent, the sort of quality that could have been used to create another masterpiece like the previous films - but it was all wasted. All the glorious, beautiful attention to detail, the effort put in by the artisans and artists who spent so much time working to make everything perfect, ruined by the writing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Heaven's Cloud

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    I've heard mixed reviews of the Solo movie. Everyone seems to be in agreement that it's better than TLJ. Overwhelmingly, people seem to believe that Lando was pretty pointless and under utilized, the droid he was in love with was stupid, and that Chewie was the best part of the movie. I've heard vastly differing opinions on Alden Ehrenreich as Han, and very little of substance about Emilia Clarke's role.

Unless there's major changes within Lucasfilm, I don't see that they'll have what it takes to turn this situation around. The pace they've set for themselves for releasing films is break neck speed. They're rushing so much that they can't worry about anything but the rush. They'd have to stop, take at least 3 years off, and hire actual creative people who won't be subjected to kissing Kathleen Kennedy's feet before Lucasfilm can overcome its cinematic impotence. Han Solo is probably among the top 5 most popular SW characters. If people don't believe in Disney's Han, and Disney butchered George's Han, you can pretty much stick a fork in SW.

@wanderingmagus That's been one of my pet peeves for years now. And not just with Star Wars. Anakin pointed out earlier how the quality of Hollywood films has dropped considerably in recent years. The effects and visuals of all movies have pretty much gone up though. There's no good reason for this! Hollywood will waste several fortunes paying artists and digital artists to make their productions the most gorgeous things we've ever seen.
    But when it comes to talented writers? You'd think writing great fiction was the most difficult thing in the world. I don't get it. Is it that much more difficult to make an island full of dinosaur, or transforming robots, or space armadas look real than it is to write a great script?

• Like Like x 2
  16. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,118 / 3 / -0
    We know that's already happening. Several directors have been fired, one being told to do a lot of re-shoots and to work with Tony Gilroy for Rogue One namely Gareth Edwards, because it didn't feel like 'Star Wars'. But we know that Ron Howard was brought in pretty late in the new 'Solo' film, because the original directors, Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, were fired and the director of Episode IX, Colin Treverrow was fired as well. Another director who was fired seems to have been fired for the right reasons, namely Josh Trank, who was claimed to be indecisive and uncommunicative during the filming of the Fantastic Four reboot. Now there's been rumours going on why they were fired to put the blame on them, like with Lord and Miller, who wanted to make 'Solo' more into a comedy. They had a more improvised look on the film which Kathleen Kennedy didn't agree with. Colin Treverrow was supposedly very arrogant and very hard to work with, though Mark Hamill praised him for the story he was creating. It's interesting that he said this because he said the opposite about Rian Johnson.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Heaven's Cloud

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    Mark and Collin seem to have teamed up to take a few little passive aggressive shots at Rian on twitter lately.
    I'm not so certain how far I would trust the word coming out of Lucasfilm about all the directors they fired. What I've learned since TLJ premiered is that Disney's influence is much further reaching than I imagined, and they'll pretty much throw anyone under the bus to keep the heat off themselves. It was amazing how many websites like Forbes.com published articles bashing SW fans for hating TLJ, so it's no surprise that Disney demonized the directors who clearly hated Kathleen Kennedy's agenda.

The real sad part for me is that Harrison, Carrie, and Mark agreed to do the sequels before George sold Lucasfilm. I wonder if they would have signed contracts had they known he was going to sell. If those three weren't involved in the sequels, I still would have hated the movies, but they would have been much easier to ignore.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,118 / 3 / -0
    This is the reasons why I feel sorry for Mark Hamill. He was so looking forward to work With Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher again. He had no scenes with Harrison in TFA and his character died in that film. He was out. In TLJ he still hoped to have scenes with Carrie, but he only got to do one scene, which is probably the best scene in the movie, but could still have been better. Now we do know that they had big plans for Leia in Episode IX and that could have involved Luke. But unfortunately Carrie Fisher died and he's left with nothing (except a paycheck I suppose, but that's not enough). He has been very vocal about the films and one thing I keep thinking of is why they didn't listen to him. George and him are the ones who know the character best, but JJ and Rian didn't think so. That just makes them arrogant pricks.

Edit: Well, I just wanted to say that I was wondering about what others fans said. That the "haters" are in the minority. But numbers don't lie. Many people went to see TLJ in theaters, but when it comes to Blu-Ray sales TLJ only made 56% of what TFA awakens made. Now there's certain aspects to think of. When TFA came out of course TLJ wasn't going to do as good, because with TFA Star Wars to many felt like something new again. Sequels almost never do as well as the first one. But such a drop? I think that tells you enough of how the film was a failure and now with the 'Solo: A star Wars Story' doing pretty bad, it shows that the fans have had enough of the new films. Because I'll be honest, I felt like a hypocrite for a while. I really defended the prequels against the ones that didn't like them to the extent that they hated it so much. So I was called an apologist for the prequels, while now I'm a "hater". So I did think that I was being a hypocrite. I was just jumping on the bandwagon as they say. No, I don't hate TLJ because it's cool to do so. That is my own private opinion, because now the "haters" are not the same kind of "haters" like with the prequels, because despite all the hate, these films were successful in theaters and in DVD sales. These films weren't divisive as The Last Jedi was.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  19. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,118 / 3 / -0
    Disney hasn’t learned it’s lesson. Solo is failing at the Box Office and the sales of The Last Jedi blu-rays and merchandise are going down. Disney doesn’t know how to fix this. Instead the press are blaming white supremacists. Yeah I’m a male white supremacist, which explains why l really liked Wonder Woman and Black Panther, because I’m a sexist racist bigot. Let alone how I loved characters like Ripley in Alien and it’s sequel, Sarah Connor in Terminator 1 & 2, Furiosa in Mad Max Fury Road. I’m a racist, which explains why I love so many characters Samuel L. Jackson played, like Mace Windu and all the character he played in Tarantino films. Django from Django unchained. Red from the Shawshank Redemption. Do I need to go on?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Padmé

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 0 / -1
    Yeah I really detest this whole 'it's white males that are causing all the problems, they can't deal with strong women!'.... Eh, hello there! I'm a strong woman and I think these new films are shit. It's nothing to do with guys being sexist! Like Anakin mentioned, explain Ellen Ripley in Alien/ Aliens? Sarah Connor in Terminator 1 & 2? The Bride in Kill Bill Vol 1 and 2? Furiosa in Mad Max: Fury Road? Xena: Warrior Princess? Dana Scully from X-Files? Daenerys Targaryen? Or even Princess Leia and Padme Amidala! To list but a FEW. These films and TV shows were/are mostly enjoyed by men! So where were all the 'sexist males' preventing all of these being hits? They're talking out of their asses. The difference is, these women are cool, well developed characters! And that's what we want. They need to stop trying to label people by their sex, race, sexual orientation etc, dividing people, not being diverse! They're focused on tokenism. It's all about appearances. They need to create developed, interesting characters and people will flock to see them again and again! Make good films!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1