A failing franchise

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Anakin, May 21, 2018.

1. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,127 / 4 / -0
    A huge structure like the Death Star needs a a thermal exhaust port. It makes sense. It actually surprises me it was that small. Just look at how big the cooling towers are of nuclear power plants.

2. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus King Anakin's Royal Advisor, Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +636 / 1 / -1
    True, but you would think there would be some relatively easy way to shield such an obvious weakness from direct attack besides just towers.

3. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +646 / 3 / -1
    Thing is I doubt if you shot the thermal exhaust on a nuclear power plant that it would blow the whole thing up. Asides a structure like the Death Star is so vast it would likely have had multiple exhaust ports like that, all armoured, shielded or designed so that a feedback explosion was nearly, if not totally, impossible.

So it stands to reason that if there's such a huge design flaw then there must be a reason for it. In a New Hope we are basically told that the reason is that the Empire basically doesn't consider a fighter a risk against all its regular weaponry. In Rogue One we learn that its a deliberate act, which makes sense as otherwise the Death Star might have had more one-shot- weak-points.

Remember the Second Death Star's main weakness was that it was unfinished and relied heavily upon the ground shield to protect it.

4. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,127 / 4 / -0
    If you dropped a bomb in a cooling tower of course the whole thing would blow up. No, they’re just coming up with an excuse to have Rogue One made. The thermal exhaust port of course connects to the reactor core of the DS. That is it’s function. So no it’s not a plot hole. This movie just bored me with a bland story and bland characters. I expected to at least be entertained, but I can’t even say that sadly. I never expected that from a SW movie.

5. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Loitering from 2009 - 2018

Ratings:
    +642 / 8 / -5
    After the original trilogy, right?

6. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,127 / 4 / -0
    If you're trying to say that the prequels are bad, then the answer is no. I love the prequels.

7. Mad Hatter

Ratings:
    +642 / 8 / -5
    I misread your original comment. I thought you said that you never expected to be entertained by SW. Re-read it several times to realise that skipped over "that". My bad!

8. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +425 / 1 / -1
    Both Star Wars and Marvel movies are dead to me now. It's just cash-grabbing hot garbage. What they did to the SW Expanded Universe was criminal.

9. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,127 / 4 / -0
    I'm on the same page as you. Don't care about Marvel, don't care anymore about the new Star Wars films.

10. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +425 / 1 / -1
    That being said, i still kinda want to see Rogue One.

11. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +646 / 3 / -1
    I found Rogue One good fun! Sure the characters feel like they are lifted from a previous film, which makes sense as many are supposed to be EU or book characters brought into the screen.

12. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,127 / 4 / -0
    I went to watch it. In a way I'm glad to have seen it. It's a big CGI fest with lots of fan service. The ending is entertaining and mild spoiler Vader is phenomenal in the ending.

As for Solo, I might watch it when it comes to Netflix or something, but no way am I seeing it in cinema.

13. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +636 / 1 / -1
    I liked Rogue One better than I liked theatrical Phantom Menace :\

14. Mad Hatter

Ratings:
    +642 / 8 / -5
    I liked the phantom menace. It was the first star wars movie that I ever saw. Hated Jarjar though. Monstrosity.

15. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,127 / 4 / -0
    To each their own :)
    The Phantom Menace had a stronger story, characters with depth, a better soundtrack and it still felt like Star Wars, despite that it looked so different. The strongest elements of Star Wars is its mythology and certainly the music. Michael Giachino is a decent composer, but he's in no way in the same league as John Williams. Another thing is that TPM didn't feed off the fans' nostalgia nor did it rely on fan service.

16. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +636 / 1 / -1
    didn't John Williams compose for the Last Jedi?

17. Heaven's Cloud

Heaven's Cloud Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    That's a god question. I was pretty sure he did, but the fact that the soundtrack was completely unmemorable makes me believe I'm mistaken. Maybe he phoned that one in, which I can't blame him. They didn't give him much to work with. A SW movie about the First Order chasing a resistance fleet through space for over two hours. BRILLIANT! Just brilliant. Hyperspace doesn't exist when lazy writers believe people just came to see lightsabers, which were also pitifully portrayed, I might add.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,127 / 4 / -0
    Well said, yes John Williams did the Last Jedi. But you could hear his heart wasn't in it. The Disney films have just been bad and bland that he doesn't care, but his contracted to complete the saga. But as you said they didn't give him much to work with, which is why there aren't memorable themes in the film. They're good and better than anything Michael Giachino has made. But the themes aren't as good as he did for the OT and the PT. I personally think that the best themes and most memorable themes are from the PT. He had three themes for each movie that really stood out, 'Duel of the Fates', 'Across the Stars' and 'Battle of the Heroes'. Obviously the best themes of the OT are also in the Prequels such as 'The Imperial March', 'Luke's theme', 'Leia's theme', 'The Force theme'. The thing is that he talked a lot with George about the music in SW, because Lucas always said that Star Wars was like a Space Opera. The music is vital to the story, because even without dialogue you would still understand what's going on because of the music.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Padmé

Padmé King in the North & King Anakin's Wench

Ratings:
    +2,709 / 0 / -1
    I'm a John Williams fanatic and I can tell that he didn't give two shits about The Last Jedi. You can just sense which films he loved writing for and which he didn't. There was a little boost of enthusiasm in The Force Awakens but it lacked something because the story lacked something! With The Last Jedi it sounded like whatever Rian said to do... he did, no questions asked. George Lucas and John Williams would have this exchange of ideas, and that's why the music was so rich and had amazing depth for Episodes I-VI, but with these films.... they are just skeletal films. No meat at all. Poor Williams. He's such a lovely guy, he's doing it because he said he would but you can tell his heart isn't in it. He knows what's happened to Star Wars, and so do we.

And concerning Rogue One, well it was revolutionary in that it was the first Star Wars film that ever bored the hell out of me. So pointless a story that Lucas deemed it only worthy of a brief mention in the proper saga... we didn't need to see it, we learned nothing interesting or relevant. And the main character, Jyn..... I didn't care if she lived or died. And as my brother accurately said at the time, she was the main character only because the camera followed her around, not because she was in any way interesting.

At least it's no longer the worst Star Wars film though, that belongs entirely to The Last Jedi..... Even that title annoys me. Two films after 'Return of the Jedi'... 'The Last Jedi'. Worst. Return. Ever.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Mad Hatter

Ratings:
    +642 / 8 / -5
    Please tell me that you were thinking of comic book guy when you wrote that.

• Funny Funny x 2