A failing franchise

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Anakin, May 21, 2018.

1. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,117 / 3 / -0
    I wrote a lot about Disney’s Star Wars and how it is failing. The Last Jedi especially split the fandom into two. Ones who hate it and ones who think it’s the best since Empire. I’m just thinking what?
    This movie is garbage and the others were mediocre at best. Solo, a Star Wars Story. I’m not even going to bother to see it in cinema. I didn’t want to believe in conspiracies about Disney pushing their own political agenda forward, but it’s undeniable. Last I read an interview with John Kasdan, wo revealed that Lando (No, not ‘Linda’ autocorrect!) is pansexual. Who cares anyway what his sexuality is anyway? Still they’re forcing it into these films all for the sake of diversity. I’m all for diversity, but if it’s being forced it just damages the film.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 2 / -0
    Hmmm. I am someone who takes these movies at face value. There is not going to be a second original trilogy. Further exploration of the galaxy far, far away is going to yield movies of varying quality. And that's fine.

Disney is a controversial company. I don't particularly like their ethics, but it is what it is. I don't like these ret cons, though. I am totally fine with having a character with a different sequal orientation. But Lando has been establised as a Player. I think keeping him that way would be for the best.

3. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Loitering from 2009 - 2018

Ratings:
    +642 / 8 / -5
    I've said it a hundred times, they should have never tried to revive the Star Wars movies. It's enough that they followed the original trilogy with Jar-Jar and pals, but it's very clearly just a cash-cow now.

4. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +645 / 3 / -1
    The story needed some bits padding out and the gambling section felt odd. I still feel that its one of the most visually striking films I've seen in a long while out of Hollywood. I think that's why its caused such a tear because visually speaking its fantastic and has a lot of very well designed scenes. I also feel that a lot of the action is more intense than in the latter films - I hardly recall much of many of the fights or battles in the earlier 3 films; but the fights in this latest film were visually great.

Sure there's bombers in space, but we don't come to Starwars for strict science (and its at least a lesser crime than seeing a planet blow up from whole systems away).

5. Padmé

Padmé King in the North & King Anakin's Wench

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 0 / -1
    These new films ain't Star Wars. They're painful. I admit The Force Awakens was an enjoyable experience the first time but upon second viewing it was evident how one layered it was, not to mention the emptiness of the story or just the ludicrous story elements and characters they threw in without any explanation. They've fucked it up, it's done. Star Wars finished the moment that Lucas signed the dotted line. I'm hoping that at some point in the future they'll accidentally make a decent Star Wars film, but by then will I even be watching? Not sure. The Last Jedi was 'the last straw' for me, and I'm not even going to see owl-hairdo Solo. No, even the Khaleesi herself can't get me to see that bag of shite. So nope, Star Wars is finished. They'll milk the crap out of it for a few decades and then.... TA DA! REBOOTS!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,117 / 3 / -0
    I was saying this earlier how Star Wars has become the new Twilight. Everybody (mostly women) talks about shipping Kylo and Rey and Padmé has seen a lot of drawings which I won't go into detail with. No one was talking about shipping anyone during the prequels or the original trilogy! It's just madness. It's just trying to cater to more girls and I get why, but it's so unlike Star Wars. I mean the whole shipping thing. It's understandable that girls/women want to be fans too, but keep Star Wars the same. Don't make it the next Twilight lol.

7. Overread

Ratings:
    +645 / 3 / -1
    Anakin to be fair "shipping" is a kinda new kids thing that all the youngens do these days with everything! I'm 100% sure people did this in the past but;

1) The internet wasn't around and when it was not everyone used it and teenagers didn't post their entire life on it. So we were never really exposed to it

2) It's a fad. Shipping is a fad and chances are in a few years it will give way to another new fad

3) Shipping is just "romancing" and I'm sure there were loads of fan-fic romances in the past. The internet just makes it easier to share and the way many sites are setup its also easier for that content to get tagged and promoted up.

8. Mad Hatter

Ratings:
    +642 / 8 / -5
    That is the thing that made me stop watching Star Trek Discovery. I loved it up until they decided to force a love interest in there. Why can't we just have movies/shows without taboo love and forced romance?

Sorry to derail it from Star Wars.

9. Overread

Ratings:
    +645 / 3 / -1
    Anyone remember Data's love interest with Tasha?
    Or Kirk's with nearly every other alien species he encountered?

10. Mad Hatter

Ratings:
    +642 / 8 / -5
    I've not watched any of the old Trek, sorry if romance is a recurring theme within it.

11. Overread

Ratings:
    +645 / 3 / -1
    It was only really recurring in the original series (which is often considered a bit of an outlier even by faithful fans of the original time line). Otherwise romances tended to happen in most of the series. Some worked and some failed, but they were certainly present. Andromeda (the other series by the creator of Star Trek) also has a fair few romances and such so its certainly a theme within the setting and writer; though honestly I think its just a means to display natural normal human (and alien) behaviour

12. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,117 / 3 / -0
    Overread, the internet was already around for many years when the prequels came out. There was no talk of shipping Obi-Wan with Darth Maul or Qui-Gon or something. I get what you're saying, but like I said keep Star Wars Star Wars. I agree with Mad Hatter. They're forcing these Romances in Star Wars that are basically meaningless or don't make sense. Why would Rey feel something for Kylo after he killed Han, who was a father-figure to Rey.

13. hatchet13

hatchet13 The Nasty Tusken

In the middle of the Dune Sea - Tatooine or Austra
    Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -0
    The Last Jedi sucked.
    Hard.
    But if there is a bright side to this travesty its this.... now there might be a chance of a stand alone movie starring Tusken Raiders... 'Dude, Where's My Bantha? "

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,117 / 3 / -0
    Well we might get a film with Tusken Raiders. There's been a lot of talk about an Obi-Wan Kenobi film set on Tatooine in his years After ROTS and before ANH.

15. RoseTealeaf

RoseTealeaf New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I completely agree. No one I know agrees with me and it drives me crazy. I hate the newest movie and I will not watch SOLO in theaters. Star Wars has always been my favorite, but these new movies I cant stand.

16. Heaven's Cloud

Heaven's Cloud Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    When it comes to Disney Star Wars ...

[​IMG]

I haven't been had it in me to watch anything Star Wars since seeing The Last Jedi.
    There's a clip floating around youtube of Rian Johnson 15 years ago or so saying he doesn't want to make movies that everyone likes. It's more exciting for him to make films that half the people love, and half the people hate. "But that was 15 years ago" people might be saying. Which is true, but I've never seen anyone succeed at doing that the way he has.

The important part begins at about 1:05

So Basically what have to say about this is ...

[​IMG]

17. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus King Anakin's Royal Advisor, Constantly Around :D

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +633 / 1 / -1
    Honestly, retconning the EU was a mistake. Rogue One was awesome, the Rebels series is awesome, most of the animated stuff is great, but the live action for the most part is just trash. I think there was a YouTube video explaining exactly point for point why it's trash, but the gist of it is, basically, it absolutely wrecks the Chekhov's Gun phenomenon and the Law of Conservation of Detail. If you just toss away every detail you make us sit through, why should we care about any other detail you show us? Why does your story matter? Will it even matter in the next movie, or will you just shred it and start all over again? With no continuity or care for we'll thought out plans and such, and the introduction of completely new plots and personas out of thin air which disappear just as quickly, we honestly don't have any reason to even waste our time watching at least half the film. Nothing matters, history doesn't matter, the original lightsabers don't matter, the wisdom of elders don't matter, nothing matters, screw everything and burn it all with force ghost lightning and made up hyperspeed weaponized ships. I can't even with this franchise anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,117 / 3 / -0
    Personally I thought Rogue One was bad as well. I think why fans loved it so much was mostly for nostalgia reasons, but I gave up on nostalgia after I saw The Force Unleashed on screen a couple of times and saw the film for what it is. Mediocre at best and a film that didn't make sense. Where every point of the film happens not because it made sense, but because the script just demands for it to happen. With Rogue One I thought the story was bland and the characters were bland. Well, with so many characters it's hard to flesh them out anyway. But I don't care how those plans were stolen and I don't get how the battle to steal those plans was a lot bigger than the battle to destroy the Death Star itself. People excuse it by saying that Tarkin was really overconfident and only sent out a couple of Tie fighters to deal with them. That doesn't explain why the Rebels didn't sent out more ships, so it was just bad writing imo.

19. Overread

Ratings:
    +645 / 3 / -1
    I rather liked Rogue One and felt that it did at least answer one question (why the heck would you build a huge world crusher and have a 1-shot-kill-spot). I do agree that the characters feel like they are not fleshed out; but then again they've got the feel of a history to them already established outside of the film (which is true)

20. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus King Anakin's Royal Advisor, Constantly Around :D

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +633 / 1 / -1
    I feel at least Rogue One is closer in style and story with the original trilogy than anything else recently. But maybe that's just because of the time period in which it's set.