A comment about the demeanor of the moderators.

Discussion in 'Comments & Suggestions' started by jeremiah.l.burns, Feb 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

I'm probably taking a big risk in posting this thread. This is in no way intended to be a malicious post. Nor do I mean to personally attack those involved. I'm simply pointing out factual events, and making personal opinions surrounding those events.

If it is taken the wrong way, I could receive backlash for it up to and including banishment from these boards which I love so dearly. However, I feel it is worth it to make this point:

I've noted with one or two moderators around here a certian undesireable demeanor. Two such instances in the last 24 hours I've noted below. I won't print the Mod's name in order to save them from possible personal backlash, but they will certainly read this and know who they are. If they then feel like replying to it here, that is their choice, otherwise they can send me a PM.

I will however bring it up publicly because I can't believe I'm the only one who's noticed. Beyond that, although the examples given are directed at me, I've noticed similar responses to other members when in a discussion.

First, I wanted to start a thread about a particular aspect of Star Wars. In an attempt to make sure that I didn't create duplicate threads, I did a search on "Star Wars". I came up with no duplicate threads, but did come across one announcing the opening of the "Star Wars" section. I hadn't noticed them before, and being about 2 or 3 in the morning as it was, I foolishly replied asking "Where?" rather than look for myself. I feel it was a mistake on my part, but a simple one. A mistake not worthy of the response it got.

I think you are blind and you are also bringing back dead threads. Thread closed.

My bad. While true that I didn't notice the thread myself, nor indeed did I think to go looking for it, we've all had such moments. Let the innocent cast the first stone. The comment, "I think you are blind..." in my opinion shows alot of undue animosity. Perhaps I read into this too much. But I've read this same moderator's posts about how people should be careful how they word text, as it can often be taken out of context when in black and white. If I am, indeed, taking his comment out of context, then I appologize. But I would point out then, that they are not doing a satisfactory job of following their own advice on being clear and plain so as not to be taken out of context. And as "dead" as the thread may have been, it was nevertheless the best place to ask the question that I asked.

Second, I wanted to create a new poll. I didn't quite understand all the steps. I asked a question, it got answered by a fellow member, and all was well in the world. After posting my thanks to the member who helped me, and telling them it worked well, the same moderator as shown above decided they needed to comment.

Jeremiah. Remember polls only go in the polls area. So I hope for your sake you posted correctly.

Was that a threat? Was what I said worthy of a threat? I think not. If they were to comment in relation to how to create polls, this would be fine, since that was what the thread was originally about. But the problem had been solved, and in my opinioin, the thread could now be closed...although I obviously don't hold that power.

In addition, the context of the statement can be questioned. What was the reasoning for it? I obviously knew where to post polls. From my original question, the only problem I had was how to post polls. If I didn't know where to post polls, I likely wouldn't even know they existed in the first place.

The conclusion I come to it that the moderator has one of a few problems.
    • He/she has it in for me.
    • He/she felt that because I missed the Star Wars area they would need to drive me into the right area of the forum from now on in a personally offensive way.
    • He/she has a superiority complex and are flexing their "mod muscle".

Now as I said, I may be reading too much into this. I could be completely wrong. I recognize the fact that they do, in fact, run the forum. I could take my "business" elsewhere. But the fact remains: they want this forum to become as widespread as possible. They want it to continue growing. They want everyone here to enjoy themselves. While I recognize the fact that they need to point out mistakes and they need to steer people in the right direction as far as forum conduct goes, they could, in my opinion, do it with a slightly better attitude.

Finally, keep in mind that this thread of mine doesn't reflect all moderators. I've had very little trouble with the moderators. However, I feel it necessary to point this out. If I'm the only one who feels this way, I'll shut up. Heck, I'll shut up anyway. I've pointed it out once, no need to beat a dead horse. But since most of the moderators have no trouble operating with a bit more candour, I see no reason they can't ALL act the same way.

2. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Erm... Jeremiah. You just insulted the forum admin.

In addition, you did bring back a thread, that was originally posted in August, for no good reason. And the other meant that if your threads were incorrectly posted they would need to be moved. People who are regular members here for months are expected to understand and adhere to the rules.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2004
  3. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I hope it is not taken that way. It is not my intent to insult. It is the last thing I want.

4. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    If I am, I offer the utmost sincerity in appologizing. But I feel it had to be said.

5. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Until I am done typing my long response I will just say this. You have completely insulted me. I am not a mod. I own this forum Jeremiah and the sooner you understand the sooner you will learn where I am coming from. I do not accept your apology and you will find out why when I post my response.

6. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Alright time for my big long response to you Mr. Burns.

Let us first start with your "points"

1. I do not have it in for you. I never have. However, people here don't get special treatment from me and members who have been here for a while should already know how things work around here. aka: you. And believe me if I did have it in for you I would not have you around anymore.

2. Personally offensive way? Get over it. This is the web. This is not a full time job. This is the weekend. This site is something FUN for me. Something I can see you are not having. It becomes a chore when I have to reprimand people for doing stupid things. aka: You again. And let me back up my stupid things comment. You brought back a thread which was made in AUGUST. About a forum that is clearly visible on the main forums page. It was a stupid question.

3. I do not have a superiority complex. And I am not flexing my mod muscle. I own this forum Jeremiah and I will flex my ADMIN/OWNER muscle anytime I please if the situation so calls for it. In which at this time it does.

You are more than welcome to bring up your own opinions and they will be read, etc. However if I am not mistaken you are a guest here. And you are a guest who comes back very often and we appreciate that. What we do not appreciate is when a veteran member starts doing stupid things and then complains about how we handled them and makes it our fault. Let's review.

A. The Star Wars thread. A useless post on your part that could have been answered if you had opened your eyes a little.

B. Your complaining about my response to your poll question. Hello?! It is my job to make sure the members are following the rules Jeremiah. You think I like doing this kind of thing? Definately not. But it has to be done because of people such as yourself. You know what irritated the hell out of me? The whole <sigh> bit. Get over the fact that I am checking up on you Jeremiah. Because to tell you the truth you are now going to be a marked member and I am going to be shadowing you throughout my boards for a long time now.

I would love to give you the opportunity to run this place for a month and see how fun it is. Because it isn't Jeremiah. When problems spring up I need to take care of them. People count on ME to take care of the problems Jeremiah. And those people who are the problem are dealt with. I am not going to accept your apology Jeremiah as I believe I do not have to given the circumstances of you being upset. I would reccomend moving on and staying in line if you know what I mean.

7. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Thank you, Boom, for your prompt response.

I didn't figure you truely "had it in for me". Of the three options I gave, I truely felt that the second or third more readily applied.
    Yes, it is the web. However, I have no clue what the forum being on the web has to do with the candor you used when responding to my posts. It was personally offensive, regardless of the manner in which it was portrayed.
    I really don't see what bearing the amount of time you spend as admin of this forum has to do with my being offended.
    I LOVE the time I spend on TFF. However, I challenge you to find anyone, anywhere, that would claim to be enjoying themselves when offended.
    As I already stated in my original post, "I foolishly replied asking "Where?" rather than look for myself. I feel it was a mistake on my part, but a simple one. A mistake not worthy of the response it got." The point here was not that you pointed out my mistake. I accept this. This should have been done, and was well deserved. My complaint clearly regards the manner in which you choose to sometimes point out people's mistakes, not the fact that you point them out.
    I will agree that while flexing your muscle is certainly your prerogative, I would again point out that it could be done in a better way in my opinion. Pointing out someone's failure to hit on a particular post as evidence of their likelyhood of "being blind" is simply rediculous. Mentioning miskates people make as being "stupid" is unnecessary. Especially when they have already admitted to said mistakes.

Secondly, my mistake for calling you a moderator instead of your proper title of admin. However, since you do, in fact, moderate these boards, do you not also wear a cap of moderator? Besides, as I mentioned before, I didn't want to persoanlly attack anyone, therefore I didn't want to point out that I had a problem with the "admin" until I was sure you didn't mind revealing yourself as the person I had a problem with. Furthermore, thank you for pointing out the fact that you OWN this forum and are the admin. In my opinion this is all the more reason to carry your actions with a bit more sensitivity.
    So you are okay with people making comments and opinions as long as they aren't the least bit negative about you, right? If this is the stance you take when someone has a problem in the very least about how things are run, how can you expect them to feel confident that they can make comments/suggestions on the way the board is run without the fear of being chastised because of it?

The section I used to bring up this matter was the comments/suggestions section. I'm suggesting a kinder demeanor than what I've seen thrown around the boards by you, Boomerang. If I'm not able to make these suggestions in a civilized manner in the proper section, as I believe I have, without getting chastised for having done it, then what is the section for?
    I already admitted this before you started ranting about how stupid of a mistake it was. Thank you for belittling me further, and ultimately beating it into me.
    I expected no less.
    I agree fully that this needs to be done. Once again, I wasn't questioning what you were doing, so much as how you were doing it.
    Whether you accept my apology or not is irrelavant to me. I apologized because I felt bad that it "insulted" you. It was never my intention to insult you as I have found you, generally, outside of the occastional offensive comment, to be a rather plesant individual. You can accept it, or you can not. The apology has been made, and that's what matters to me.

8. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Jeremiah.

Bottom line is I stated my reasons. You are a guest at my site so act like one please.

9. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I thought I always had, but perhaps this is not the case in your eyes. Simply out of respect for the fact that you are the administrator, I'll just drop the subject, but I hope that this has been a lesson to more than just myself.

Thank you for your time.

10. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Jeremiah.

If you are trying to throw something in my face I would suggest you do not come back here again. You have always acted well until now. Once again you are still trying to make this issue my fault in which is was you that started it. I do not keep you here sir and you are not required to come here either. Remember that.

11. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Boomerang.

No, I wasn't trying to throw something n your face, so I'm not sure what that last comment really meant. Were you asking me to quit coming?

12. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Jeremiah.

You and I will continue this conversation outside the forums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.