2500 years from the battle of Marathon!

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Foinikas, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Well I was bored so I decided to make this thread.This year we celebrate 2500 years since the Battle of Marathon.The Atheneans beat a huge Persian army fighting against all odds and thus securing a victory for Ancient Greece.

Does this have any meaning or do you think that this has any significance for the Western civilization?

2. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Well, there was this one guy who ran all the way back to Athens...

I think that the significance of this battle is that we remember - mostly due to the fact that either the ancient Greeks invented history writing ; or because the Romans upheld Greek traditions and copied their work.

In the end, as a significant historical pivotal point, I think it has very little influence outside Greece itself. I'm sure the Iranians don't bother to commemorate the fact (though it would be funny to see Ahmedinejad at Marathon). The fact is that every nation remembers at least one pivotal military victory in the forming of a people or a nation. These are almost always non-events outside the group that identifies with it. What do you know about October 3'rd 1574? Or July 2'nd 1600? Or, for that matter, September 13'th 1345?

3. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Does 1345 have something to do with Scottish history? :p

4. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    heh - no. It is an obscure part of Dutch history which, nonetheless, is still commemorated each year, as it is part of the identity of the people.

5. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Fascinating.Well I posted this thread for 3 reasons:

1.I was so bored last night.
    2.Some people say ancient Greeks saved the Western civilization and Europe from the Persians.
    3.A member of this forum and I were talking about the celebration of the 2500 years since the battle of Marathon on facebook :D

6. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Honestly, history would have turned out so differently had that battle gone the other way. So differently in fact that theres no real way to say if it was for the better or not.

That being said, western civilization would not exist without a Greek victory there. Greece started it all, Romans copied them, and all of western Europe copied the Romans.

7. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I am always a bit iffy about the what-if situations. The world might have been different if that battle have gone the other way. But there is no way to judge whether that would mean the world would have been better off, or worse; whether it would have a retarding effect of current day affairs, or whether we would be more advanced now. Simply no way of telling.

Yes, it is a pivotal moment in history and we know it because history has preserved ancient Greece pretty well. But the meaning of such an event after 2,5 millenia is trivial in my opinion, if not for the identity of a nation, which may or may not be the case.

8. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    2,5 millenia ago....they were fighting Persians in Marathon...

Well Greece and Byzantium had always been a "bulwark" or if you want a "wave crusher" or simply a castle against Eastern attempts to conquer Europe and saved Europe from so many enemies so many times.It's a bad thing the Westerners didn't appreciate it much.

But what do you expect from people who betray their allies after WWI and WWII...

9. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I'm not quite sure you're right.

Greece is still recognised as the birthground of democracy. It couldn't have been if Greece was overrun on one of the many attempts. As such, it has always been in favour with the West, unlike pretty much all countries in the area. It had easy access into the European Committee and the Euro. As a result, it's the wealthiest country in the region as well (measured by GDP at least). From what I've heared, that has exactly to do with ancient Greece - and being a Christian nation.

Although Joe Average probably couldn't care less (I'm sure that's a fair description of Joe Average anyway...), those people who do matter, eg those in politics and the higher echelons of corporate Europe pretty much all had an excellent education which still includes ancient Greek and the history and mythology that comes with it.

10. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Well taking sides of people who fought against you in a war(WWI and WWII)or
    double-crossing your allies isn't the best thing to make friends,but in the late 20th and early 21st centuries when politicians care about smiles and dinners,everything goes out of the window for the sake of "good relations with the strong allies".

11. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    What does ANY of this have to do with Marathon?

12. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    It has to do with Greece being for thousands of years the castle against Eastern invaders for thousands of years with little or no help from the Western nations throughout the centuries.

What we were talking about earlier,me and Turambar.

Anyway,it's so weird that 2,500 years after that battle,Persia(Iran)is in the middle of worldwide attention and Greece is in the middle of European attention due to the economic crisis.

2,500 years later we're still alive both Greeks and Persians,not being enemies anymore of course but trying to survive a worldwide economic crisis!

13. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Commemorative coin that is to be circulated.For anyone who is interested.

[​IMG]