2 weapon fighting problem

Discussion in 'Historical Re-enactment' started by Sekots_D, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Sekots_D

Sekots_D The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Gahava, i know you fight with two weapons when you can, so this question is for you mainly, although any help would be appreciated. :hbday:
    1. What is your technique for closing the range when fighting with two weapons, i mean the other swordsman will have a good extra distance to kill you, before he is in your range?
    2. What techniques do you use to stop your opponent from powering through your smaller weapons? I mean, you are only holding yours with one hand, while he assumably has much more control with a two handed grip.
    3. What do you feel are the benefits of fighting with two weapons?
    anyway, anyones help would be much appreciated. :fightyou:

2. Scrinlord

Scrinlord Dark Lord of Guppies

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, I know you are using two weapons, but what two weapons are you using? Do you fight with daggers/knives, or sai, or short swords. There are a lot of different ways to fight with two weapons, and your style can depend on what you are fighting with. How you fight can also depend on what kind of weapon your opponent is fighting with. I would fight differently against a person with a battle ax than I would against someone with a 2 handed sword, and I would fight against someone differently with a 2 hander than I would someone with a katana, even tho all are 2 handed weapons. But I will just post general things I think.

1: If you are fighting with 2 light weapons, you probably have a lot more mobility than the person with a 2 hander. My personal style is to get them to comit to a strike by faking them out, and then attacking while they attempt to recover.

2. Try not to get in a situation where you must block against a person with a two handed weapon. But if you have to block, these are some things you can try. A) Block them near the hilt of their weapon. There is a lot less momentum near their hands than there is at the end of the blade, and you stand a much better chance of stopping or slowing the blade there. B) Block with both weapons. Depending what kinds of weapons you are using, you can block with both of them in different ways, either both of them parallel to each other, creating kind of a wall for the enemy blade to hit, or you can sometimes block in an X fashion, with the enemy blade caught in between your blades. I personally do not like to block in the X pattern, because it usually leaves you to open to counterattack, but it can be useful in certain situations. C) Try not so much to block an opponents weapon, as to divert it from you, just try to redirect it, not stop it. This is usually the best choice, because it does not require you to try to match a two handed swing, and it leaves them open for counterattack.

3. I personally think that the benifits to fighting with two weapons lies in the speed. You are faster than someone with only one weapon in most cases, and you have twice as many possible attack/defend angles as someone with one weapon. The disadvantages are that it is much harder to learn to fight with 2 weapons, and it is much easier to control only one weapon. As someone who fights with two weapons, you also usually dont have the power to block a strong two handed swing if you need to, and it can be much harder to get through armor, should you need to.

This is only my opinion, and I am sure that there are people out there who have differnt opinions.

3. Sekots_D

Sekots_D The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Im usually fighting with a katana in one hand, and a wakazashi in the other, and my opponent is usually a guy with a katana.

4. Scrinlord

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, thats cool, you like to fight in the same way that I do then.
    I personally do not like that matchup, because while usually it is the person with 2 weapons who is faster and more agile, a person with a katana can be damn fast, using one or 2 hands. Me personally, in that matchup, I would try to make them forget that I have my second weapon, if possible. Try to make them commit to a position where they are blocking one of your blades, but you can score the second blade accross a differnt part of their body.
    If you are fighting with katana, a big thing to remember that a lot of people seem to forget is the fact that you CAN stab and thrust with the point of the weapon. And if you are fighting with a katana in one hand, you can stab at them from the very edge of their range, so it will be hard for them to hit you if you do it right, although you have to be ready to move fast if they parry.

5. waenlotien

waenlotien Healer/ Magicuser

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    when i fight i use either a katana or a short sword, but i leave my dagger in a good place to get if need be. otherwise, just one weapon at a time is a good rule. unless of course, you are using your dagger to sneak in a good belly cut.

6. Scrinlord

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    With me, it really depends on what I am fighting against. I almost always have both a katana and a wakazashi with me, but if I am fighting against another person that has a Katana, I will probably put away my second blade and fight with only my katana, but if I am fighting someone with a sword and shield, I usually pull out my wakazashi, because it provides more of an opportunity for feints and opens up more spots to hit with.

7. hackandslash

hackandslash The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Scrinlord, do you do some kind of martial art? Because you are talking about the nito style, have you ever had any real instruction in it? It sounds like maybe you have.

8. Scrinlord

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have done Karate and Ju-Jitsu before, and I am taking a class right now on a korean swordfighting style(but I cant remember what it is called)
    My Karate teacher came from South Africa, and so the Karate that he learned was what the army actually uses for battlefield defense. He picked up on it really quickly, and so they sent him to some instructor, so that he could become a trainer for the rest of the army. While he was getting instructed, he was trained in Karate, Judo, and several other arts. I am not exactly sure what kind of weapon fighting I know, I learned it in a "Karate" class, but It isnt karate. Nhito sounds familier, that might be it.
    Sorry I dont know what it is.

9. Baka

Baka Commander of 1000 fools

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A full extension one handed thrust from a katana will actually give you more reach by a couple inches than a person using it two handed. Unfortunately there is a very simple counter that involves stepping out of the way and cutting your wrist off. If your offhand weapon is lighter it becomes a blocking weapon until you get in close. You use it to sweep the opponents weapon so that you have an opening to ge close, or in the case of a polearm you brace it against the blade and use the guard/quillions to control the haft. Since using a katana two handed gives far more control and speed in almost all cases, you have to be very good with using two weapons to win. If you are using two weapons because you think it's cool, or because in theory there are a lot of advantages, you should probably not try it outside of sparring.
    When are you using a wakizashi against a sword and shield, Dagorhir?