2 on 1 Fighting

Discussion in 'Historical Re-enactment' started by Chaos, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Chaos

Chaos The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    :monkeydan

Have any of you fought two on one before? This happened a lot on the field of battle in vicious combat. What strategies would you use if you were one person fighting against two?

- Chaos :monkeydan

2. hackandslash

hackandslash The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What would a ten year old know about 2 on 1? one time, i had 2 girls in my room. But they were both related too me. thats about all. also once i sparred against 2 people, and i won.

3. Sekots_D

Sekots_D The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, this did happen a lot in the battlefield, and it was quite deadly. If you can dispatch one foe by yourself you are good. If you can get two at the same time, you have much skill. I prefer fighting with a shortsword and a dagger, or if i am really feeling lucky, 1 long(er)sword, and a shortsword. However if i tried this in the field of battle, i would have been looked upon as odd, as i wouldnt be able to pierce the thick armor of my foes, and end up dead..

4. Scrinlord

Scrinlord Dark Lord of Guppies

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    depends on how they come at you, but generally, you just gotta hope that you are lucky, and fast enough to parry or dodge their blows until an attack of opportunity pops up that you can take really quickly. But like Sekots said, you have to be damn good to take on 2 with any consistancy.

As for stratagy, try to manuver to a position where you can place one of your opponents in between yourself and the second opponent, so that enemy #2 has no way to hit you without getting past his friend.

You also cannot forget that there are in fact TWO people there. I have fought against two people at a time, and it is really easy to get so focused on one person that you forget that the second person is there.

5. hackandslash

hackandslash The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The battlefield was a place where lots of things happened. thick armor is hard to pierce, especially hard steel chainemaileee. personally i like 2 short swords as well, because it is an effective battlefield combo, because i can run under all the long weapons.

6. prancingponyregular

prancingponyregular New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    on a battlefield decent infantry generally form lines to ensure that noone gets behind you, avoiding getting outflanked is something you just have to rely on your general for.

in a strait 2 on 1 fight it is gonna depend a lot on circumstances. if you can get the initiative and turn it into 1 on 1 real quick is probly the best.

7. Gavaha

Gavaha Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Most likely when two on 1, the two will try to flank the one. Try to run over to one and finish him off quick, but try not to put your back to the other. It also depends of weapons

8. waenlotien

waenlotien Healer/ Magicuser

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i also like to try and keep it so that the two are beside each other by moving around. Sometimes they can't see each other (helms slipping and what not) and try to take advantage then. If they are side by side, i like to attack on my strong side first. a lunge (sp) is good for here too. Attack the one farthest and hopefully get in a belly cut on the other.

9. prancingponyregular

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    good to see a lass with a plenty of experience of 2 on 1.:)

i think you put a good point to say attack where they are weak. best moves depend on so many things; the relationship of the people, what they are armed with, why you are fighting. i knew a guy who always went and hit the biggest guy first (ok this was fist fighting) because then all the others would be too afraid to attack him, so much of a fight is in the mind.

10. waenlotien

waenlotien Healer/ Magicuser

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    thanks hehehe

I wouldn't go for the biggest first, i think LOL

You would get wore out quicker and then the other would be fresh. taking on one would leave you open for behind attacks. thats why i try and keep them on the same side as me.

11. Scrinlord

Scrinlord Dark Lord of Guppies

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, keeping them both on the same side is always good, I also like to try to get in a line with them, so that only one of them has an opportunity to hit me at once.

12. prancingponyregular

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    haha, yeah, maybe you should work up to the big one. lol

13. NorthFire

NorthFire Consort of Shadows

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've done this before and I usually like to use a staff weapon or two short swords for fighting two people at once. I generally try to take out one person at a time. As Scrinlord said its easy to get to involved with one person.

14. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Basically I ve been two on oned and three on oned and more so team battles that g bad. I have had my whole team slaughtereed I try to limb a fw while circling them and moving ofline so onlty few can attack me at once. I usually die. Fast. multiple pole arms vs one sword and no sheild equals quick death. My old group has guy that would regularly have two guys attack him, he usualy one becasue unless you and you other team mates train hard core together they tend not to coordinate attacks well.
    keep them split up enough to where they cant exploit whles th eother creates.