Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Longclaw Now for Sale

Re: Longclaw Now for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaelin View Post
    Very nice, though I too don't exactly like the wolf head maybe I expected it to be more worn and not shiny and new looking. But then again I guess no one really wants a something that looks worn and used...lol!
    Well even in the books that part of the sword was brand new.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjrk View Post
    I think you will fail and then puke all over your house and feeling to crappy to clean it up. And after a while the puke will turn into a pukemonster and then you will be the one eaten. Epic pwnge!!!!

The Mother of Dragons Noble Ilaelin's Avatar
    In Hades with the rest of my evil friends...

Quote Originally Posted by Graft View Post
    Well even in the books that part of the sword was brand new.
    Was it, I so don't remember?

My Love...

No One Noble

"...laid a large sword in a black metal scabbard banded with silver."

"I had the rest made anew."

"The pommel was a hunk of pale stone weighted with lead to balance the long blade. It had been carved into the likeness of a snarling wolf's head, with chips of garnet set into the eyes. The grip was virgin leather, soft and black, as yet unstained by sweat or blood."

That's a good representation of Martin's description, I guess I just envisioned it differently. More stoney. Less detail/color. (I'm boring, eh?)

Forum Administrator Assassin CB Swords's Avatar

the thing about stone is, you can't mass produce stone carvings.

You can do a fake-resin stone thing, which won't have the weight, you could maybe I guess do an aggregate casting (concrete type fake brick things you see on houses) but you still don't have the weight and durability.

So... metal.

Think about... say... The Shawshank Redemption and the chess pieces he carves & polishes out of stone. Considering he had only primitive tools there in the prison, that is probably about what it'd be.
    Chris
    Fantasy Forum Administrator
    CB Swords - LOTR Swords, Kit Rae Swords, & More.

Okay, according to the description, the bladeform should be a type XX, like drawing:

but what I pictured was more like this magnificent type XVIIIb:

I do hope I'm allowed to post images.

Forgive me for being a little obsessive about the subject, but I like my medieval fantasy medieval.

Everyone loves a Jester ! Ranger Harlequin's Avatar

I must admit , after a bit of a ponder I think I imagined the hilt being an inch or two longer.
    Other than that it's about right on the money for me.
    Oh yes I didn't expect the pommel to be shiny, more of a pewter style finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Greybeard View Post
    Okay, according to the description, the bladeform should be a type XX, like drawing:

but what I pictured was more like this magnificent type XVIIIb:

I do hope I'm allowed to post images.

Forgive me for being a little obsessive about the subject, but I like my medieval fantasy medieval.
    The XX is exactly what it is.
    Chris

I have to admit (no offense intended) that I'm really disappointed with this replica. The whole sword itself is great, but what gets me is the pommel. The wolf's head doesn't look anything like I imagined. It's much too refined (?) for my taste, and just kinda looks tacky. It doesn't have that authentic medieval feel. I dunno how else to explain it. I guess I imagined it a bit more rough. Also I really didn't imagine it positioned like that looking straight at you. I imagined it flowing with the handle looking straight up. Here are some images I quickly made up which represent something more like I envisioned. The first how I imagined it, the second something I'd also be happy with.

Again no offense intended, since this is what GRRM himself picked, just my personal taste.

The one looking straight up is the one I liked too, and we gave that option to GRRM, but he picked the version you see.

Then we took the version you see and gave him an option with the ears back, teeth bared, etc, and he still picked the version you see.

In the end, he is the boss, so we had to build what he wanted. I think it was because prior concept art (from book covers) had it as is.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by CB Swords View Post
    The XX is exactly what it is.
    Then where did it pick up the short mid rib, and why are the fullers so long?

I know I'm nit picking.

Our plan was never to take a standard style and reproduce it, we have a little more creativity than that.

If swords were cars would you expect all 4 door sedans to look the same?
    Chris

I'd expect all 4-door sedans to have back seats.

I'm a bit of a crank on the fuller + mid rib that almost all swords for fantasy films and cover art seem to have, because it was a failed design that died out in short order.

Short fullers gradually replaced long fullers through the course of the Middle Ages. I believe this was because they allow the swordsmith to make the tip flatter so it cuts better.

As I wrote before, I'm nit picking.

I like it. Though there is something feminine about it which doesn't click in my head, can't quite put my finger on it though, it is definately not the blade, at least. Think I heard somewhere that there's work in progress on designing Ice though? That I would really want to get my hands on.
    Last edited by Ravenhart; 06-28-2009 at 07:47 PM.
    I see darkness falling, I hear voices calling.

My friend bought one those a couple of weeks ago. I laughed at how wasteful he was. Throwing away money like that!

The next day I wen't out and bought MTG cards and some books for the same price.

EDIT:
    Just took my eyes off the sword and managed to read through the rest of the page. International shipping prices included lol

Awesome! Still kinda curious - how exactly do you ship swords worldwide? I can just see the fellas down the local post office going a little nuts over it

END EDIT

Absolutely love replica weapons and especially swords.

I was down in Carcasonne in France last week, they have an entire medieval city preserved with shops inside...could have spent an absolute fortune in that place
    Last edited by Rua R; 06-18-2010 at 03:47 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information