Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Replica of Richard's Sword!

Replica of Richard's Sword!

For those of you with an interest (on this forum it should be MOST of you), and who did not see my post on the weapons and armour forum, I have made a replica/interpretation of the Sword of truth. I posted it on another forum, and was eventually convinced to sell it to another forumite. I post it here for interest sake, and to get feedback from fans on what they like/don't like about my interpretation.

The blade of the sword itself comes from a bare production blade made by Fulvio Del Tin in italy. It is made of a carbon spring steel called CK 55 which is Europe's version of AISI 1050.

The rest, the guard, handle Pommel and embellishments were made by myself.

The whole thing weighs in at just over 3 lbs. My goal was to make a functional version of the Sword of truth that could be actually used, not just put up on a shelf or hung on the wall and admired. I hope the fellow who bought it appreciates it as much as I did. I think I will have to make another, for I miss it alot.

Anyways, enough about it, here is the sword, in as much glory as my crappy photography skills will allow...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Balthor; 03-30-2007 at 12:29 PM.

Re: Replica of Richard's Sword!

Wow, Balthor thats pretty impressive.
    "Last of all Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed; and it is sung that the axe smoked in the black blood of the troll-guard of Gothmog until it withered, and each time that he slew Húrin cried: 'Aurë entuluva! Orcs grappled him with their hands, which clung to him still though he hewed off their arms; and ever their numbers were renewed, until at last he fell buried beneath them."

Indeed. Very nice!!

Looks like it could be a movie sword-Great Job!!

That sword is dead on how I pictured the sword of truth. Wonder how much you sold it for, well, if you make another one and want to sell it, let me know. I'd love to have one

Yeah, nice work!

Red face Re: Replica of Richard's Sword!

Thanks for all the comments. this was a great learning experience for me, both in the making of the sword and in the aftermath of the sale.

This sword has made it back to me, due to some interesting developments initiated by Mr. Goodkind himself. Long story short, I had to agree with him that the image of the sword is his property, and it was wrong of me to make AND SELL his copyright property.

All is not bad, I have another commission for two custom swords that was initiated through the making and selling of this one. Suffice to say in the future, I won't be selling someone else's design without their express permission first.

Thanks again,

"Balthor"

Quote Originally Posted by Balthor View Post
    Thanks for all the comments. this was a great learning experience for me, both in the making of the sword and in the aftermath of the sale.

This sword has made it back to me, due to some interesting developments initiated by Mr. Goodkind himself. Long story short, I had to agree with him that the image of the sword is his property, and it was wrong of me to make AND SELL his copyright property.

All is not bad, I have another commission for two custom swords that was initiated through the making and selling of this one. Suffice to say in the future, I won't be selling someone else's design without their express permission first.

Thanks again,

"Balthor"
    That's good then. Glad you have the skill to make such a nobel weapon.

Cool Re: Replica of Richard's Sword!

Yeah, now that I have the sword back, I can try my hand at leatherworking, to make a suitable scabbard and baldric . I'll be sure to post the whole kit and caboodle when I'm finished.

Balthor

Who knows maybe he might have you make one or use yours for the mini-series.
    -Belles

Maybe TG will contact you in order to use it for the upcoming mini series! That would be neat!

Cool Re: Replica of Richard's Sword!

Neat indeed. (Rubs hands conspiratorily...)

I'll keep you posted if anything like that should happen...

Balthor

It's nice, but in the pics it looks like its made out of plastic. It's probably just me.

That's the difficulty in taking pictures of shiney steel, it always either gives off too much glare, or gets completely washed out. It's a skill I would like to work on, I agree, the pictures are not very good.

But the sword is made of spring steel, with mild steel furniture. I wish it was plastic from a labour intensity perspective, but that would kind of defeat the purpose.

Balthor.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Reality
    It's nice, but in the pics it looks like its made out of plastic. It's probably just me.
    It's just the flat even light. If you look on a lot of blade makers' sites, you'll see similar pictures. Using flash (unless it's a studio white soft box or something similar) just results in blinding flash spots on the shiny reflective steel. These photos (apart form the second one) look to be taken with no flash, in total shade, possibly in the late afternoon when the lighting is nice and shadowless. That way the whole sword is evenly lit, with no shadows or bright flares, to disguise the wire wrapping, or the fuller, or the delicate detailing on the pommel etc. It's bloody hard to get a good photo of a blade without flat even lighting!
    Mububban - TFF Moderator

"I will not say 'Do not cry,' for not all tears are an evil."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information